Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Art Theme: Scary

I happen to have a wide streak of macabre that runs through me. Maybe it's because my Dad's birthday is right next to Halloween, so that season was always a party. It wasn't scary, just fun. And maybe it is because I didn't grow up watching horror movies. I just watched cheesy scary movies with my Dad and it wasn't terrifying. Instead, I enjoyed the thrill and twist of an occasional scary moment. I enjoy getting scared and I like creepy things. Monsters don't really scare me. Sure, I'll scream when they jump out on the screen, but I don't believe I'll meet any in my own closet.

Basically, I'm trying to say that this was a fun art theme for me and I really looked forward to what other people would come up with. And I was not disappointed. I hope you like a little scary. If not, continue at your own risk.

My kids must have inherited a little of my strangeness because some of them really got into the theme. Robyn, Daisy and Pearl did a photo shoot that might give you some chills.

Sociopath by Daisy, Pearl, and Robyn 
Sweet Dreams Sister by Daisy, Pearl, and Robyn


Daisy Dear by Daisy, Pearl, and Robyn

I'm Ready for My Closeup by Daisy, Pearl, and Robyn

Slayer by Daisy, Pearl, and Robyn

This Little Piggy by Daisy, Pearl, and Robyn

June drew a Steel Inquisitor from the Mistborn series. They have tattoos on their face and spikes shoved through their heads instead of eyes. Creepy.

Steel Inquisitor by June
Daisy did a ghostly scene.

Shark Ghouls by Daisy
This girl is in trouble. If she gets past the bears, you can see the wolves watching her from behind. No place to run...

Chased by Pearl
I used string art for this spider. I specifically chose black on black, because I find it scary when spiders blend in and you can't see them well.

Why God? by Maleen
Great minds think alike. Jonny and I were on the exact same page. I'm not sure if he thinks clowns are scary (like I do) but he still was inspired by one of the creepiest clowns in history.

You'll Float Too by Maleen

Money Smart by Jonny

Robyn twisted some Disney princesses. I think these are amazing. Check out the details.

Snow White by Robyn

Elsa by Robyn

Meg by Robyn

Daisy and Pearl did a little more dressing up. I think they are pretty cute, but some might find them scary.

Kiss by Daisy and Pearl
My mom did some great art this week. Check out this bedroom. I'm pretty sure I would NOT want to sleep there.

Bedtime by Megan

I like all the details like this crocodile under the rug.

Bedtime (detail) by Megan

 These eyes are so cool. Look closely. Many are made with sequins and beads.

They're Watching You by Megan
Eleanor had a similar idea. Being watched is a scary feeling.

Woching You by Eleanor

Camie had a great entry. Truly scary.

I'm Your Other Mother by Camie


Beth happens to be terrified of lobsters, so naturally Maggie drew a lovely picture for her mama.

Mama Fears

I have another coming that I haven't received yet. But that is our lot of scary this week. Ironically, it was Ivory's theme, and she didn't get any art finished for this week. Maybe she just wanted to be scared by other's art?

Next week is Hannah's theme—Progression. I'm interested to see what progress we make this week...

No comments: