Saturday, January 9, 2021

Book Review 2020

You would think that 2020 would have been an excellent year for reading. After all, many of us had more time at home. But I ended up reading about the same amount of books that I normally do. So I now know that a pandemic doesn't encourage me to read more. Good to know.

However, even if I didn't read MORE, I still read many excellent books. It was a great year of reading with many wonderful finds. Once again, if you need something to read this year, these are my recommendations. Let's start with some of my Goodreads stats:

I read 12,877 pages in 37 books

Shortest book: The Quest of Ewilan (68 pages)

Longest book: Arch Enemies (560 pages)

Most popular: The Secret Garden (1,456,247 people also read)

Least popular: Sithrah (250 people also read)

Highest rating on Goodreads: Muse of Nightmares (4.45)

Most read month: February (7 books)

Least read month: October (1 book)

Most of my favorite books came from: My book group! (6 out of 9)

Here are my top 9 favorites of the year (in no particular order) and the review that I wrote for them. Also the key that goes with them (NC=Neighborhood Club, FG=Family Group, MB=My Book Group, Other=not with a group or required reading)

RENEGADES by Marissa Meyer (FG): I heart Marissa Meyer. Her Cinder series was one of my favorites and now there is a whole new group of people to root for. And who wouldn't root for superheroes? What a creative story of bad girl meets good guy, with interesting powers to boot. I like all the different powers that are in play. I liked how Nova is not bad at all. She is searching for the right, just like everyone else. Perhaps the love story is a bit cheesy, but I liked it. And I'm excited to see where the story leads. Clean fun for the whole family. Robyn picked this book for book group and I'm so glad. You know a book is great if I don't fall asleep on a plane while reading it.

There were three books in this series and I ate them up. Excellent read!

THE GIRL WITH SEVEN NAMES by Hyeonseo Lee (MB): This book was fascinating. I am quite naive when it comes to Korean history, so this book was an eye opener for me. It also reminds me that I have little to complain about in my pampered, American lifestyle. It is truly a blessing to live in a free country and more than ever, I'm grateful to those who help keep us free. Hyeonseo Lee's story was inspiring. There were times I couldn't put it down. I feel like there were angels watching over her because she escaped by the skin of her teeth many times. As a whole, my heart aches for those in North Korea. Not so much for those who have figured out the system and are content in their circumstances, but for those with poor songbun, who suffer daily. And most of them probably don't even realize there is a different way.

To an extent we are all indoctrinated as children. All systems of education have some kind of bias. I read part of the book with Robyn and she said she felt we do the same kind of stuff here. I said, "Really? How many songs have you sung about President Trump?" "Good point," she said. It is hard to see how the two Koreas could be united after so much time and so much divergence, but I could see how change could benefit both sides. I think Lee is a pioneer for her people and I'm so glad she shared her story with the world.

HOPE WAS HERE by Joan Bauer (MB):  I loved this book. It was short and so inspiring. There were so many great quotes in it and the "well" poem was one of my favorite things. All the food sounded delicious and I suddenly want to go visit a diner, but I know they won't have Addie's cooking. The book wrapped up so well. Characters grew and it was easy to root for Hope with her undiminished spirit through all her hardships. June said her teacher read this out loud to her class in 5th grade. Good choice.

p.s. It makes me proud that I was a waitress at one point. It really does make you look at people a new way.

THE MARTIAN by Andy Weir (NC): This book was freaking amazing! Despite that there was an over abundance of profanity, I can't find fault. Really, I'm not smart enough to find any flaws in the physics and science involved. My first thought was that I would die right away on Mars, but really, they would never send someone as dumb as me into space. Thank goodness. I loved the humor and I laughed out loud many times. I was one of the billions rooting for Mark Watney. I can't wait to watch the movie.

This will definitely be one of my top ten books for the year!

OUT OF THE EASY by Ruta Sepetys (MB): This book was awesome. I think Ruth Sepetys is a fantastic writer—even if I don't know how to pronounce her last name. I loved the characters in this book. Who knew that you could love a whole whore house? What I pulled most from this book is that everyone has history and you don't know what brought them to their current standing. Less judgment could bring the world inches closer every day. This book didn't lead where I thought it would, but I'm glad it didn't. I needed to take this journey with Josie. I cried at the end. And now I really want to work at a book store. Although, I've kind of always had that dream. I would settle for a library as well. I would highly recommend this book. It was beautiful.

MY LADY JANE by Cynthia Hand (Other): I heard such great things about this book and it didn't disappoint. The writing was funny and I laughed out loud so many times. I decided to listen to this book, even though in general, I don't like audio books. The reader was fantastic, and I loved her voices and accents. I liked how it followed history while really not keeping to the truth at all. I liked the twist of turning the religious fanatics into ethians and verities. (I wonder what animal I would be?) It had a wonderful ending and overall I adored this book, but to tell the truth, when I finished, I was slightly sad. History did not have a happy ending and it made me think of the wasted lives of those characters in the book. I can't go back and change things for them, so I guess it is nicer to think that in someone's mind (or book) they had a happy ending.

STRANGE THE DREAMER by Laini Taylor (MB): Heavens, I can't believe I didn't write a review while this was fresh in my mind. Although in some ways, how can you forget this book? It is so beautifully written and the story pulls you along. I loved the world created with elements of our own, but so much magic and wonder added. Somehow I forgot the epilogue until halfway through and then I had to read at breakneck speed to figure out what happened. Who doesn't love a 2 am read?

The end!! THE END. What? There are few books I have read that demand so greatly that you read the sequel because of the massive cliff you walk off at the end. So naturally, I'm reading the second one. Which is just as good in case you want to know.

I love the characters and the special abilities. I was hooked from the beginning when you figure out what the title means, and who wouldn't love a character like Lazlo Strange? There is a lot of emotion and pull in the book. Even the evil characters have background and method to their madness. I even love the slow evolution of the love story, and although it isn't graphic, it might get a bit steamy for younger readers.

I could go on and on but I'm late for work. Just read this book.

AS BRIGHT AS HEAVEN by Susan Meissner (MB): Wow, how was I not aware of a huge pandemic in 1918? Especially since we are going through one right now? Although we have it easy compared to them, or at least my experience has not been anything like theirs. And I believe that everyone who experienced it would be dead now. What a tragedy. And yes, I've heard of the Spanish Flu, but didn't realize how devastating the effects were. Thank goodness for the internet. What did people do before when they read books and wanted to know about something right away??

As for the story, I thought it was really good. I liked the characters and that not everything was perfect or easy. Pauline's weird relationship with death made me see it in a new light. Also, the backdrop of the family living in a funeral home and the preparation of bodies and embalming gave an interesting perspective to the story as well.

I ended up reading this book very quickly. I wanted to know what happened to this dear family and especially their brother. The ending was not necessarily what I expected, but it tied up enough loose ends for me that I was satisfied.

Side note: I love the name Bright. It would be cute as a first name as well. 

BEFORE WE WERE YOURS by Lisa Wingate (MB): Wow, this book was not what I expected at all. If someone tells you it's about adoption, just understand that is not an accurate description by a long shot. I learned so much about history. I love a story that tells me something about our past that is true while weaving a story with characters you care about and brings the story to life. I was shocked and appalled to learn about what happened during that period and place, but much of history has hidden pockets of sadness and atrocity.

I liked the mystery involved with the story as well. There were secrets on top of secrets and some you never find the answer to. How hard for families to never know what happened to their loved ones.

I thought this was an excellent book, with all the feels. The love story was a little forced for me and predictable, but it didn't take away from the overarching storyline. Three cheers for the human spirit and resilience in this book.


There you go! Lots of good books to read. You probably have your own stack you are working your way through. One of my daughters doesn't like to read and I just can't understand it. I have met so many wonderful people and lived in a variety of places and experienced more than just my life. Who wouldn't want that? Here are the pictures of my favorites. Happy reading everyone.









No comments: