Thursday, June 2, 2022

True Treasure Lies Within

The kids picked up this weird cookbook at a book sale one time. It is called Nerdy Nummies. I hate that book. Every time I find it, I threaten to throw it away and the kids will hide it from me again. I like food that tastes good, and in most cases, I'm not interested in making it look like something it's not. 

But Ivory especially loves the idea of designer cakes. She adores shows like Baking Impossible or Is It Cake? She's shown me so many videos of people making cake look like something else. I do think it's cool. It's not something I want to do and I frown upon the mess that inevitably happens in my kitchen when the kids decide to 'create.'

Which is why they took over while I was out of town. This was last year (2021) and Ivory took advantage of the fact that Tyler, June, and I were all in California on a senior trip. She chose an ambitious task...the Treasure Chest.

I say ambitious, because looking at the pictures, I was stunned by the amount of ingredients. Ivory needed two large cakes so it was a LOT of batter. But let's just look at the pictures and we can all appreciate that I wasn't there to watch the slow destruction of the kitchen. (And yes, they cleaned up before I got back.)






Look at all the wrappers on the floor. 

So, here's the finished product. I have no idea how it tasted. Oh, that's not true. I think there was extra cake in the fridge that I ate. And it was rather tasty. I'm super impressed though. Ivory has made her own fondant a couple times and I've never made that ever. So she's an ambitious little baker.

Good job Ivory. I think I can handle if you make crazy desserts when I'm out of town.

1 comment:

Megan Dargan said...

I love those shows too, and am constantly amazed at how lifelike those baked goods look. Maybe that's a hobby I should take up when I retire.