Friday, May 5, 2023

My First Pinewood Derby

(April 23rd, 2022)

So I never did Scouts growing up and I didn't have any brothers. I knew what a Pinewood Derby was, barely, but I had never seen one in action. After being married to Tyler for a bit, he was involved in Scouts and I remember seeing him make a car or two, but my knowledge and participation was minimal. Oh, and we didn't have any boys, so still no Scouting for me. To be clear, I am not sad about this. I'm just stating facts.

So the ward decided to do more of a neighborhood Pinewood Derby. I think the Scouts boys did their own before, but they kept the race track for another day. I guess the idea was to draw in the people, like me, who never had the chance to do one before. It was a bit of a bust. I think that including our four cars, there were seven or so. 

But let's go back to the decorating. As girls, we could definitely get into this part of the process. Tyler helped us sculpt our cars. I had very specific specifications for mine. Ivory is using pink? What a surprise... (June, can you see your shirt back there? We were getting ready to ship it to you.)


I got some cubes from Michael, at school, and planned mine out before painting and gluing. Can you see the vision?

Check it out. I was very proud of this. Has their ever been anything quite like it before? Well, probably, but I still loved it.

Can you see the glitter on Ives'? Also, Daisy made hers with a little alien on the side. So cute. 


And now to add the wheels. Pearl's is the cute red one.

Now to be clear, I did not build the Santa-mobile with aerodynamics in mind. He was simply supposed to be cute. So I wasn't going to be sad if I lost. 


And that's exactly what happened. Well, first Daisy dropped my car and broke it. We glued it back together, but now I can blame the slow roll on mechanical issues. Literally the hood cracked. I'm sure that was causing wind drag.

Since there were only the four of us, we did well in the awards area. I was really hoping for most creative, or most unique. Nope, I got Slowest Car. Thanks guys. (I closed my eyes in honor of June.)

Pearl got Fastest Looking car. Daisy got Most Out of This World, and Ivory got Prettiest Car. Anyone want to trade?

Thus, I have now participated in a Pinewood Derby. Was it everything I dreamed? I guess. It's not like I sit around dreaming of racing cars. So it was perfectly adequate. 

No comments: