Tuesday, April 11, 2023

Baptisms for Easter

Sorry about not sending an email last week. I wrote you guys a really good one but somehow it got erased and didn't send. And the speed of mission life prevents me from remembering anything about that week, so now you just get this week.

BEBARLY AND ALIBEL GOT BAPTIZED!!!! 

Holy cow, this baptism has been such a process. I have been teaching this family since I got to Los Reyes three months ago. It's been a roller coaster. Up and down. We had to push back their baptism so many times, a lot of times for reasons that were put of our control and their control. We have had very active opposition from our bishop and that has been very hard.

But this family is so faithful. Guilaine, their mom, diligently gets them to church every Sunday. I have seen a huge change take place in this family from the time that I first met them to now. There is so much more joy and peace in their home. Jesus is there.

The baptism finally happened on Saturday. It POURED. The rain was crazy. Dominicans are scared of rain, and not very many people came because of the downpour. But the ones who we really needed came. Leocadio, our ward mission leader, pulled through for us and picked up the family who didn't want to walk in the rain but also didn't even consider the idea of canceling or moving the baptism. Bernado, one of our new members, did the baptisms. He was so nervous, poor guy. And he did have to baptize Bebarly four times cuz she wasn't all the way under, but he aced it and I'm proud of him for doing it. Salomon, another new member, gave a talk on baptism and it was so good. And we feasted on banana bread at the end. They got confirmed on Sunday and are now members of the true church of Jesus Christ on the earth.

I know God wanted this baptism to happen. We could not have done it without His help. There was so much opposition on every side. But even when things seemed pretty bleak, hope was never lost. And many miracles happened and Bebarly and Alibel got baptized and confirmed.

The three months I have spent in this area have been honestly so emotional. I have had some of the biggest challenges of my mission. But also seen some of the greatest miracles. I've hit my some of the worst discouragement but also the greatest hope. Transfer day is next week and I'm quite torn. Part of me wants to leave this area because it's been so rough. Part of me wants to stay because I have worked so hard and I really want to see all of my friends get baptized next transfer. And also I want to stay really bad because I love my comp so much and I want to finish her training.

So in other words, thy will be done, O Lord, not mine. I have no idea what will happen but I'm pumped for it.

This week was la semana santa, or Holy Week. The week that culminates in Easter, where we celebrate Jesus Christ's Atonement, and especially the Resurrection. La semana santa is a big deal here. Which I think is really cool. In the states it's not that big; for most of my life I knew Good Friday was a thing but had no idea it was two days before Easter or that it's important because it was the day Christ was crucified. But here on Good Friday, it was quiet. There was no one outside (many people were on vacation at the beach), but there was also no music playing. Which is UNHEARD OF. There is always noise coming from somewhere. I felt like I was in a different country walking around deserted streets in silence on Friday.

All the girls do their hair in box braids for la semana santa. It was fun seeing everyone we know and all the random strangers we don't know do their hair with all kinds of fun colors and braids. I was trying to figure out what the connection between Holy Week and braids was and finally when I asked someone, they said that braids is the best hair style for the beach, so everyone gets braids during Holy Week because they also all go to the beach. But a lot of people just chilled at home and still got braids, so I guess now it's just a tradition. 

And we got habichuela con dulce four times. That's the biggest semana santa tradition. EVERYONE makes habichuela con dulce. It's beyond the point of a tradition; it's a necessity. You must make habichuela con dulce during la semana santa or probably the world would just end on the spot. Several people gave it to us and only one of them was not good, which is maybe not what you would expect considering it's a cold cinnamon milk sugar refried bean sweet potato raisin drink. I have no idea how someone decided to put all of those ingredients together and thought it would be a good idea... but then it turns out they're right, so props to them. Maybe I'll make it next year for Easter.

Anyway, now for the important part: Jesus Christ lives. He has been resurrected, which only He could do. He is the only way and means to inherit eternal life. He overcame death, sin, pain, grief, despair, disability, disease, discouragement. All of those things may still be experienced by us, but because of Jesus Christ they do not end us. Because of Him they do not conquer us. Instead, hope stays with us and there is always a light at the end of the tunnel.

"Behold, they will crucify him; and after he is laid in a sepulchre for the space of three days he shall rise from the dead, with healing in his wings; and all those who shall believe on his name shall be saved in the kingdom of God. Wherefore, my soul delighteth to prophesy concerning him, for I have seen his day, and my heart doth magnify his holy name" (2 Nephi 25:13)

Hermana Cazier








No comments: