Saturday, March 31, 2018

Max & the Gingers

It is Battle of the books time at the Junior High. Elementary finished up earlier this month. Both Ivory and Daisy were out on the first round on competition day, but Ivory's team used up every single bonus question, so it was a great battle. I helped every single day, so I was super excited to see the end results, so I went to the final battles in the gym on the last day. There were parents surprised to see that I was there when I didn't have a child in the finals, but it didn't bother me. I know a lot of the kids. In the 5th/6th grade battles there were cousins that I know. They had to battle each other. That must have been tough.

All the kids did a great job. I took a picture. Several of the kids on the team on the right were from Ivory's class. They won. And in the 3rd/4th battle, the 3rd grade team won. I was so proud of them.


Fast forward to the Junior High battles. The girls have had their team in place for months. Once again, they weren't on the same team, but that is to be expected. I went to help out again. You can check out last year's battle for more info on how the questions work. All ten teams showed up this time around. They came up with some creative names. Mr. Trent is on board with the names, although he mixes them up sometimes.

Day one was pretty good. All the teams were pretty close by the end of the day. I always take a picture to make sure no one changes the score between day one and day two. No one ever has, but I take it just to be on the safe side.


Robyn was on the Tootsie Rolls team, #10. And June was on the Asian Squad, #6, which was funny because there was only one Asian girl on their team. Mr. Trent finally figured out most of the names, but he never got Robyn's team right. He always called them the Tootsie Rollers, so we finally changed their name.

The last two rounds were intense. Especially, round three when only one person can answer the question and it has to be exact. Most teams just lost points during that round. It was rough. In the end, it was still very close. In fact, the scores are almost identical to last year.


Good job all the teams. And even the kids who didn't win got candy.




Here are the books they read this year.

Dragonwatch by Brandon Mull
The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
To Kill a Mocking Bird by Harper Lee
Flipped by Wendelin Van Draanen
Divergent by Victoria Roth
The Nightmarys by Dan Poblocki
Cinder by Marissa Meyer

I hear Nightmarys was super creepy. June's group drew straws to see who had to read it. :) I didn't read all the books, but I've read a few before. But it is always fun to see how much the kids remember and if I would get any of the questions right.

1 comment:

meganmushrat said...

Have you ever considered having a battle of the books at the end of the years with the books we've read during the year in the book club? I think it might be a lot of fun, although I'd probably want to reread some of the books just before the battle!