Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Percussive Arts Society


Every March, PAS rolls around again. I'm not sure I have ever called it this before. I think I usually just say it is a Percussion Competition, which it is. Robyn has attended and played the last two years, and this year was no different, except that we added Ivory in there.


There is usually an advanced number, an intermediate number and then a special group. (Although I'm not sure if that is incredibly accurate. I don't always pay attention.) The advanced group this year featured all the 8th and 9th graders. It is a very interesting piece and a bunch of the players move back and forth between the drums and marimbas. You can't see Robyn here in the picture because she is behind a stand and she is short, but in the video you see her stand up. (Please also notice in this picture the old judge. You can see him at the table. He features later.) Enjoy Mozambique.






Next up, we moved over to the other gym. I'm going to miss this building when Robyn is in High School next year. I finally know my way around. In the bigger gym, the intermediate ensemble played. This was all 7th graders. (We have a large group this year.) They played Polo's Candy Machine. I think it was excellent. You can see Ivory in the front, to the left of Mrs. Taylor.





Finally, the special group. Robyn, Tim, and Travis were picked to do a Trio. They did a song called Ragtime Renegades. It is more of a showcasing of percussion skills and do dads than a song, but I liked it nonetheless. The end is really funny when they...well, I'll let you watch. The judges missed it because they were looking down.



I do find it funny that I also recorded a mom recording. (Does that mean I recorded it twice?) Tyler also took a picture of moms recording. We are everywhere.


I think they all did a great job. I managed to snag a photo later of the trio. And one fabulous teacher.
 

And Ivory hauling gear. She is probably not going to do percussion next year, so this may be her only PAS experience.


Sadly, the day didn't end as well as hoped. None of the groups got any awards. Speaking to Mrs. Taylor later, she was shocked. She had heard the other groups, and she thought ours did much better. It comes down to the judges opinions and this particular judge (mentioned earlier) has been in the circuit for a long time and perhaps has some biases of his own. He has been around long enough that Mrs. Taylor was playing for him when she was a kid. Likewise, he seems to think that perhaps women should not be teaching percussion, evidenced by the comment he made to Mrs. Taylor when he said, "Shouldn't you be home with your kids?" (Wow...I can't believe it.) So one judge on one day equaled no awards for our awesome kids. Such is life. I still think they can be very proud of their efforts.

I guess next year, we'll get to see the High School side of PAS. I'm excited.

No comments: