Monday, September 14, 2009

Wickedly Fun Weekend

*Warning: Long post, but this is what happens when I don't blog for a week*

I know I have been off the map for a bit, it is not like me to go this long without blogging, but I really was off the map—the Utah map that is. I went to WA for a little mini-vaca this last weekend. It was absolutely fabulous. I guess I will just jump right in and tell you all about it...

Friday

We actually flew in Thursday night since I didn't really want to fly on 9-11 (call me superstitious). I say 'we' meaning my good friend Tricia and me. I left kids at home and sadly Tyler too, but Grandma Vicki came for the weekend, and I really don't think anyone missed me much in Utah.

Friday morning we started at the fair. I love the Puyallup fair. I have been going since I was a little girl, and although my interests have changed (from rides to sight-seeing) the fair has always seemed enchanted to me. The food is terrific, the art incredible, the shopping unique, the experience exhilarating (and slightly exhausting). Also, in the last few years, my mom has encouraged me to enter my stitching. I have won several awards and it is so fun to go and see if we won anything. This year was no different. My mom came in April and generously took back a crosstitch for me and entered it in the fair. Remember this one?



I finished it almost two years ago.

So with great anticipation, we went to see if I got an award. Well...I was blown out of the water. Not only did I win a first place ribbon, but I also got a ribbon for 'Best in Category' as well as 'Grand Champion'. I think Grand Champion is about as well as you can do; they only award ONE (in the needlecraft category). I was stupefied. I wish I could show you a picture, but naturally I forgot my camera (awesome as always). It was certainly beyond my expectations. Even after the fact, I didn't really feel like bragging because it seems so subjective. There were so many beautiful pieces there that obviously took a lot of work. And there have been years when I have looked at the Grand Champion piece and thought, really, that won? Of course, I found out later that you get a $100 along with the Grand Champion ribbon, and now I am pretty sure that my crosstitch was indeed, the best one there.
We didn't stay long in the crafts hall, although I wish we could have because there were so many fabulous works of art. My parents ran into some friends of theirs and the husband, Ismael, showed me a quilt he had made. It was beyond words. The colors were gorgeous and the design was original. He had hand quilted the entire thing. Suddenly my crosstitch seemed paltry in comparison. He only received an Honorable Mention for his quilt; seriously people, so subjective.
Anyway, we actually didn't do too much after that. Tricia and I shopped for a while (bought some gifts for the girls). I made sure to get a scone (I couldn't call it a real fair trip without eating one). A few hours later, with the sun beating down (yes, I know it was WA, but it didn't seem like it the whole weekend) we decided to call it a day.
Back at our car, we realized how hungry we were, so we stopped at a restaurant on the sound (near a park close to my home) and we had clam chowder while I regaled Tricia with my near-death experience with the trains (sorry that will have to be a post for another day). After lunch we walked briefly by the water and noticed that there were dozens of jelly fish washed up on the shore (oddly, I have never seen this before). I dared Tricia to touch one, sure that I would have to pee on her momentarily, but apparently Finding Nemo is accurate in that the tops aren't poisonous. I also learned she is a lot braver than I (since I only touched one after her).

Those were the highlights of the day. There were lows as well, but we'll just save those for the end.

Saturday

This day was very easy going. We did some shopping in the morning, Tricia and I stopped for lunch at a Mexican Restaurant and then we came home and hung out, all in anticipation for an evening of this...



Yep, I got to go see Wicked. That was not the original plan. I was headed to Washington simply to visit family and see the fair, but when I told Tricia about my plans, she was the one with the happy information that Wicked was playing at the same time and we should see it if there were still tickets for sale. And there were. Let's be honest that they weren't great tickets. I think we were one row from the top of the theatre, but who cares? It was still so fun to go see the play for the first time with my family. I think we have all resolved to see it again some time—with better seats. I'm just glad that Seattle is not as Wicked crazed as Utah. Anyone who has tried to get tickets around here understands this because in Seattle... 1) There were still tickets left (not sold out within one day) and 2) the tickets we got were only $50. I know!!

Sunday

Just one of those lazy days where I played games with family, tried to pack 30 extra pounds into my suitcase, and ate good food (my mom made pies just because I was visiting). It was my sister's birthday so we celebrated a bit. We went to church as well, but all too soon, it was time to go home. Back to the airport we went. This time Tricia and I talked more on the flight since we weren't both reading The Hunger Games (like we were on the way there). That book was incredible and we both devoured it by Friday evening.

Then I was back to my home sweet home. All in all, a fantastic weekend.

I wish I could end there and not mention the lows at all, but every silver cloud has its gray lining. I'd like to say that I wasn't sick when I went on this vacation, but my illness has hung on with a vengeance. On Friday, the shuttle bus was rather full on the way to the fair, so Tricia and I opted to stand since we didn't want to wait for the next one. This in itself was not a problem until I had a coughing attack. It lasted forever it seemed and when I was finished, I must have pulled something in my side (probably while holding onto the rail) and ever since, when I cough, I feel like I have a broken rib on one side. I'm sure it is just a pulled muscle, but Holy Pain Batman. My cough is easing up now, but still it is terrible to cough even a little...and sneezes...they practically kill me. I look ridiculous as I grab my side and wince (people must think I am having labor pains).

That was really the only low unless you count coming home to a sick baby who may be as miserable as me (she had a 103.5 fever today). But I did get to cuddle her extra amounts and that wasn't so bad after not seeing her all weekend. Hope you all had a great weekend too.

5 comments:

Shawn, Ashlee and Addison said...

Wow, sounds like you had a lot of fun! I hope that you start to feel better soon and that your side gets better as well.

Scott and Svetlana said...

What a nice weekend! And your crosstich work - is absolutely awesome (even Scott said - it looks great!) Good job!
I completely forgot about jellyfish - I learned the same from Finding Nemo but never actually seen the jellyfish in my life. :)
I hope you are feeling better now!

Beth said...

congrats on the award! And super excited you got to see Wicked!!! Hope you get feeling better soon.

Cindy B said...

I love the cross stitch! Amazing. And I'm glad you made it back safe.

I once coughed so much that I jarred my ribs off a little. I had to get my chiropractor to adjust my ribs. Wow, that hurt, but by the time I left, I could breathe!

K Cazier said...

That sounds refreshing to have some time to yourself... I don't know what I would do with time without my boys :)... I keep telling Kolby that someday he will have the boys for a weekend while I go and give myself the gift of time, I truly hope that I do someday!
P.S. I am not at all suprized by your awards for your work. I absolutly love all of the stiching that I have seen you do!!!