Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Instant Gratification?...Hardly

There are so many different hobbies in the world and what is fun and relaxing for one is a tedious chore for another. For instance, I can't do crosswords. They drive me crazy.
One of my favorite hobbies would surely make some people cross-eyed themselves. I love to crosstitch. To me, it is easy and relaxing. I like to sit and watch a movie and my hands find a natural groove. It is one of the few hobbies of my childhood that I held onto.
I was always interested in one thing after another and my poor mother was always buying me supplies for another activity that I would never take seriously. I remember she bought me stamp books and candle making supplies (although I wish I could find the candle stuff now). But crosstitching was one hobby I never let go of (thanks for being patient mom). And you have to be serious, because there is no instant gratification. If you choose a large project it could literally take years to finish while working on it in your spare time (which mothers have so much of). I spent nine years working on a large crosstitch while I went through college and my early married years.
I'm proud to say this last project went faster than expected. It took me maybe a year and a half. But oh the joy for me when I finally complete a masterpiece. Well, masterpiece is a little exaggerated, but I am fairly proud of this endeavor.

Framing makes a finished product and I was very happy with how it turned out. You are all welcome to stop by and see the end result. It is much prettier in person (if I do say so myself).
Well, back to the drawing board. Look for more beautiful art in another few years.

5 comments:

Wright Family said...

It's amazing! You are amazing. I never could do something like that. I really do love it. Makes me excited to have the ones you are doing for me. Not that they'd be that detailed but still...Thanks for sharing your talent with me.

Deanne said...

Wow! That is amazing. All your crosstitch work is. I'm not so much a crosstitcher. I started a cow crosstitch 11 years ago for my sister. I never finished.

Chelle! said...

Oh my goodness! I think this is the most incredible thing I have ever seen. You are one talented girl!!! When I can place my order?

Anonymous said...

Great job! That takes patience and determination. I got a kit to do a dolphin crosstitch a few years ago and don't think I ever started it. I can't wait to see this in person - looks beautiful!

Ker said...

you all should go really see them. Her art is amazing!