Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Treat Jar

I am always looking for new traditions to do with my family. You might call me a tradition addict, or freak. Who knows.
I ordered a Christmas book from Gooseberry patch filled with fun craft ideas and recipes. I realized that I love to make something new to try during the holidays (well, anytime really). So we all looked through and choose a few recipes we thought sounded good. We put them all in a jar and we are going to take out one a week through Christmas and decide if they are worth keeping.


I'll post the recipe and let you know how it turns out. I apologize in advance to all my health conscious readers. These are not diet recipes. They come straight from the cookbook to you, meaning all the good sugar and fat is left in there. I figure I should make these now, while I can eat what I like (knock on wood).
This week was Bar Harbor Cranberry Pie. Here's the recipe:

Bar Harbor Cranberry Pie

Frozen berries can also be used…no need to thaw before preparing this pretty pie.

2 c. cranberries

1 ½ c. sugar, divided

½ c. chopped pecans

2 eggs, beaten

1 c. all-purpose flour

½ c. butter, melted

¼ c. shortening, melted

Garnish: whipped cream and cinnamon (optional)


Lightly butter a 9” glass pie plate; spread cranberries over bottom. Sprinkle evenly with ½ cup sugar and pecans; set aside. In a separate bowl, add eggs and remaining one cup sugar; mix well. Blend in flour, butter and shortening; beat well after each addition. Pour over cranberries; bake at 325 degrees for 55 to 60 minutes. Garnish each serving with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon, if desired. Serves 8.




It was really tasty. Cranberries are tart and even with the sugar it was still zippy. We served it with ice cream and even my non-fruit eater enjoyed it. The crust wasn't like pie crust, you just pour it on top. Super easy, and it felt very festive. I might make this for Thanksgiving.

6 comments:

jennie said...

What a cute idea! I LOVE tart fruit pies with vanilla ice cream. There is nothing more fall/winter than that! Looks so good!

Wright Family said...

That looks good. I'll have to try it.

Ker said...

Hmmm- looks like a good one Maleenie! You should have invited your friend and visiting teacher over for a little bite---J/K

Deanne said...

That looks scrumptious! I think that it would be a good tradition to let your friends give their opinions on the treats, too! (just a thought).

Maleen said...

Deanne, great idea. Next year it would be fun to get favorite recipes from all my friends. Then I can have a piece of something they enjoy during the holidays.

Doug and Becca said...

I like you idea and the pie looked fabulous. It's making me hungry for something sweet as I look at it.