Saturday, June 15, 2013

Why I Shaved My Head

Before you go all crazy rumor mill, this is the Stallion, not Maleen; and yes, I shaved my head.

That story starts on this blog: http://wedigdoug.blogspot.com/. Doug, the star of WeDigDoug, was recently diagnosed with stage 4 Ewing Sarcoma. He started chemo shortly thereafter, and is currently in the middle of his prescribed treatment schedule. He expects to make as full a recovery as is possible.

Doug also works on my team at DHI.

After he commenced his chemotherapy, of course, his hair became weak and become to fall out. He then took up the only hairstyle popular with cancer patients...the bald look.

Immediately a few members of the team started scheming to see if we could buoy Doug up. We thought we might go visit him at Huntsman Hotel...and wouldn't it make it a surprise if we walked in sporting the same hairstyle!

I must say I felt more than a hint of consternation.

My wife has correctly noted that "I do think that song is about me." My precious locks!

But do not underestimate the power of social pressure, especially allied with a good cause. My teammates offered to provide a "Manhood Revoked" card when I successfully failed to shave my head. This, of course, was something far more precious than my lovely quaff.

For your viewing pleasure, he's the video summary of 2 May 2013's events: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNA0I6WnKZg.

For those of you who are not inclined to watch that AWESOME video, the following is the static photography version.

The stars of the play include these guys.





Jeff Foster, my awesome boss


Dorel Kynaston, host programmer


Tyler Cazier, the ugliest semi-bald guy around.
It looks much better fully shaved...everybody says so.


Brett Larson, web programmer


Caleb Iverson, web programmer


Langi Hola, host programmer


Brandon Allen, fellow designer.
Brandon agreed with Arthur that
they would both shave their heads if one did.
Eventually Brandon could take the pressure no longer.
He just sat down in the chair...everyone cheered.


Arthur Golebiowski, who couldn't bring himself to sit in the chair
once he saw Brandon's bald head.


Ron Francom, AKA "The Barber"


Here's the aftermath. Their was less hair than I expected, though this is still a LOT of hair. We wondered aloud what we should do with that hair.



Of course, we found something to do with the hair. We went out to the parking lot and opened the first unlocked car we could find. We have no idea who's car this was...

At the end of the day there were a few more bald heads in the world, and some friends who were a little closer together because of it.

2 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

It is so awesome that you guys all did this, what a great team. It was awesome to watch.

Did you really leave the hair in a car you didn't know? Rude!

Chelle! said...

This was so awesome to watch. It truly brought some tears to the eyes.