Monday, May 18, 2020

Art Theme: History

This theme was far out...or far back, depending on how you look at it. I was right that we got all sorts of different pieces for History. I was very impressed with the concepts of many pieces. Let's jump right in. We'll start with our family.

And by family, I mean my mother. When we do the Zoom art shows on Sundays, I add her stuff to mine, so it happens to be first in the folder. She did a really cool matching game with inventors throughout history. I took screen shots and I'm sorry some of the pictures were cut off, but I think you can still see the names and be able to try and match them up.



Famous Inventors by Megan

This is another piece she did highlighting women throughout history.

Women Can Change the World by Megan

This piece has more history than I originally thought. The website I used to find these photos is called ThisPersonDoesNotExist.com It was created by a man right near us in Provo. The idea is that technology is used to generate portraits on demand. This could eliminate the need for models in some instances and also the stereo-typed perfect person. I love that all these people look like real people. Oh...and they all could have been Hitler.

Anyone Could Have Been Hitler by Maleen

Daisy made a piece referencing Monet, a great artist in history.

Daisy - Monet Style by Daisy

Tyler and I did a first. We took a black and white photo and added thread. Tyler came up with the design and I stitched it. I think it turned out really well.

Iconic Kiss by Maleen and Tyler

I love Pearl's scroll. What do you think it says?

There is News Today by Pearl

Pearl and I did this rendition of the original American flag. We used melted crayon and it was really fun to put together.

The Original by Maleen and Pearl

Ivory photographed this chicken. (We actually found out later that it was probably a hunting dove. Hard to tell when it's just a skeleton.) Do you get the title? This chicken is...history.

This Chicken Is by Ivory

Robyn and Daisy worked together to create this piece. Robyn did the makeup for Daisy to be a Geisha. I really love it.

Geisha in Training by Daisy and Robyn

This doesn't need much introduction. Who doesn't love Marty McFly now, in the past, or in the future?

Marty by Robyn

You need to read My Lady Jane to understand this piece. I haven't read it, so I'm on the outside, but those who have read the book really enjoyed the humor in the picture.

Long Live the...Wait, What? by June

I was so impressed with this piece. Robyn came up with the concept and she and June put it together. It is a little morbid, but very apropos for history.

Jackie's Dress by June and Robyn

I'm not sure what time period this comes from, (most likely Egyptian) but I'd gladly display it in my house.

Look at My Vase by Pearl

The Frances' joined us this week in art making. I love when we get new families participating. These pieces are great.
Lilly - This is Malala Yousafzai.  When she was going to school in Pakistan, the Taliban came and started destroying schools that educated girls.  Malala was scared about her school because her dad (the principal) had gotten many calls from the Taliban telling him  to close the school.  Malala protested for girl's right to an education and the Taliban shot her in the head because of it.  But that didn't stop her!  Malala described her school as heaven, so I drew a picture of her thinking about her school on a cloud just like heaven is.

Malala's Heaven by Lilly

Maya - This is a picture of Amelia Earhart's plane.  Amelia Earhart was the first woman pilot to fly alone across the Atlantic.  I drew it because I thought it was cool because she worked so hard that she could pilot a plane.

Lockheed Electra by Maya

Now to the Hulse's. I really loved Beth's piece. It shows the history of clogging and a little history of her studio. Fantastic.

Clog History by Beth

Beth's kids used an app called sandbox for their art. You put in pictures which became pixilated and then you can color them. I like the Greek gods but I especially love the picture of cute baby Beth.

Demeter by Maggie

This last one by Jane is awesome. I love her threads and they are like the threads the fates would cut. I hope mine is a long one.

Grandpa Jack by Henry

Zeus by Henry

Threads of Time by Jane

Finally, we have some artwork from Tricia and her kids. I'm so impressed with these young budding artists. They have great ideas and I love that they share with us.

Camille used the idea of water remembering from Frozen 2 for her piece. Awesome.

Water has Memories by Camille

This family tree is so cute.

Family Tree by Camille

I'm sad you can't read the writing very well on this timeline. They are all 'firsts' for Annalise. It is really cute and a great idea for history.

History of Us by Annalise

I tried to get my kids to do some hieroglyphics, so I'm really happy to see some made it. Good job.

Hieroglyphics by Annalise

Tricia had awesome ideas for history. She made a Victory Garden. My kids loved this idea and thought it was really good that I didn't try this.

Victory Garden by Tricia

And she made cookies from the prairie days. She said she was going to share them, but they were terrible. :) Well, for art, I think they look pretty good and we can just pretend they taste amazing.

Laura Ingalls Wilder's Cookies
Can you believe all the awesome art? I really enjoy these shows. Next week is science. I already have some ideas percolating in my brain...


If you want the answers to the Famous Inventors matching game, see below:
Alan Turing Broke the German Enigma Code during WWII
Albert Einstein Discovered the theory of relativity
Allessandro Volta Invented the electric battery and discovered methane
Antonie van Leeuwenhock Father of Microbiology
Charles Babbage Developed the concept of a digital programmable computer
Charles Goodyear Developed vulcanized rubber
Galileo Gailie Father of astronomy, invented the telescope
Garrett Morgan Invented the modern-day gas mask and the traffic light
Alexander Fleming Discovered Penicillin
Archimedes Invented the sciences of mechanics and hydrostatics
Clarence Birdseye Founder of the modern frozen food industry
Guglielmo Marconi Developed the first effective system of radio communication
Alexander Graham Bell Invented the telephone, the gramaphone and mine detectors
Benjamin Franklin Invented the lightning rod and bifocals
Eli Whitney Invented the cotton gin
Hedy Lamarr Co-invented frequency-hopping spread spectrum leading to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
Alfred Nobel Invented dynamite
Bill Gates Founded Microsoft
Enrico Fermi Created the first nuclear reactor
Henry Ford Invented assembly-line production of automobiles
Isaac Newton Discovered universal gravitation, white light and calculus
James Naismith Invented the game of basketball
James Watt invented the steam engine
Leonardo da Vinci Leading scientist, artist, and inventor of the Italian Rennaissance
Madame C.J. Walker Invented the first hair-straightening formula and the hot comb
Mary Anderson invented the windshield wiper
Philo Farnsworth invented the first all-electric television
Robert Fulton Developed a commerically successful steamboat
Rudolf Diesel Invented the Diesel engine
Steve Jobs Founded the Apple Computer company
Thomas Edison Invented the light bulb, the phonograph, and the motion picture camera
Tim Berners-Lee Inventor of the world-wide web
John Logie Baird Called the Father of Television, invented first mechanical TV
Michael Faraday Invented the electric motor
Samuel Morse Invented the Electric telegraph
Wilbur Wright Invented, built and flew the first motor-operated airplane
Karl Benz Invented the first practical automobile
Nikola Tesla Designed the alternating-current electric system
Stephanie Kwolek Invented Kevlar - an immensely strong plastic
Johannes Gutenberg Invented the Printing Press

No comments: