Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Things I learned today...

In no particular order.

* Most animals have two nostrils, a few have one. I was racking my brain trying to think of what animal has one? Fortunately, Sesame Street did not leave me hanging; it is the dolphin (duh).

* I saw this random recipe for making Dulce de Leche using a crock pot and a can of sweetened condensed milk. It seemed far fetched, but I cooked it yesterday and then this evening we cut up apples and sat down to some carmely sweetness. Not bad, I say. I decided it was best to do this after the baby was snoozing, so I cut up the apples, gave each girl a small bowl of caramel for herself and then read books to them while they ate. Robyn stopped me along the way and said, "Why are we doing this mom? Do you want us to have fun?"

Apparently they are on to me. I am usually the NOT fun mom, but sometimes I break down and do something spontaneous and enjoyable. I try not to let it happen too often.

* Being a mom means constant giving, not receiving. It does no good to feel bitter against children when you do something nice and get no reciprocation in return (i.e. organizing an art project for June does not mean she will gladly watch the baby later so you can make dinner—which is also something she will benefit from). Being a mom is all about self-sacrifice and unselfishness. It doesn't mean that it won't cross your mind sometimes that selling one of your kids on Ebay might be a good idea.

* I really like Tacos. I should stipulate homemade tacos since we haven't eaten at Taco Bell (or the like) since the food poisoning incident in 2003.

* My crafty side is dormant but not totally gone. I finally decided that June could use some curtains in her room (bout time since we have lived here for six years). She wanted white curtains—BORING!! So I gave her Robyn and Ivory's curtains since they are white and yellow. Then I let Ivory and Robyn pick some new fabric. I am very happy with the end result, except for the part where I let them pick normal priced fabric instead of bargain priced fabric, so the end product is more chic than thrifty. Well, it is really the only curtain pattern I know (that I basically made up, and still got wrong the first time around today).

Sorry, this picture is back lit for obvious reasons.



I leave the curtains down at night, but during the day they cast a pink tint to the room, so we pull them together with ribbons to let in more natural light and I think they are really cute that way. Here is a close-up of the fabrics.



They agreed on the birds and I chose the polka dots, although Ivory claims the 'pokeys' now. They are technically reversible but I like the bird side more.

6 comments:

Desmama said...

Wow, those curtains are really cute! And whatever, you're not usually the fun mom. If my girls knew half the stuff you're always doing with your kids, they'd trade me in a heartbeat.

K Cazier said...

Cute curtains!!! When I read your blog I realize how much I miss the color pink... I rarely see it.

Unknown said...

Those are all good mom things to learn. Especially selling a baby on Ebay if necessary. Maybe I'm just ready for a husband/daddy to be back.

Deanne said...

I love the curtains! They turned out great. I ditto Desmama's sentiments about you not being a fun mom. You were featured in family FUN, after all!

Aubry Macbean said...

There are days when I wonder why women have children. Then Mackenzie will come up to me give me a hug and a kiss and say "mommy, I love you very much." That's what makes it worth it. Also if you don't want to wait around for your sweetened condensed milk to cook you can buy Dulce De Leche in cans in the spanish food section in the grocery store:)

¡Vieve! said...

Sesame street is soo helpful at finding out about those nostrils and the like. Fun times on all the other stuff!