Monday, November 6, 2023

Food is Life

(Scattered days in September, 2023)

Guys, I like food so much. It is frankly amazing that I don't weigh more than I do. I just want to eat everything. I also like to bake and cook almost everything. In another life, maybe I'd have a bakery. I'd probably have to get better at baking. Just because I like to do it, doesn't mean I'm great at it.

 A cookbook is always a great gift for me. I got a couple new ones recently, and I love trying out new things for dinner. I also love making desserts, whether it is for FHE, Book Group, or just because. I decided to start in one of the books and work my way through the dessert section. Seems like a worthy goal.

It all started with cake. This lady is crazy and really likes to make a sheet pan size cake and then divide it up, making a three layer cake. That is a lot of cake. Even with help eating it, we didn't finish it.




For one of our book groups, Daisy chose the book, The Maze Runner. It wasn't too bad...too much internal monologuing for me, but the story was intense. For our treat, she decided we should make Grievers, which are described as part animal and part machine, rolling and slug-like, covered in hair and slime. They also have many appendages such as spikes, shears, and rods. Delightful, right? So we made jigglers and added toothpicks for the spikes. It looks more like a pokey blog than a griever, but I surely appreciate the creativity.

One of the staples we make around here, possibly at least once a month and more if we have multiple activities, is Caramel S'mores Bars. They are a hit, always!! We hardly ever have leftovers and they are downright delicious. 

Lime jello seems to be the thing this month. Probably my favorite way to eat it is with green grapes. No mayo or carrots though. That is NOT appropriate, ever.

Next up in the recipe book was more cake, but of the chocolate variety. This time I got wise and I didn't make the three layer tower. I made my own two layer version. It was quite tasty and I really like her recipes for frosting.

I found these delightful little goodies. I bought them in an auction with other fall treats. They were so tasty to me. I love cookies, I like maple and these hit the spot. But I have NO idea where they came from. Probably just as well, since I think I ate the whole box myself. 

So, the recipe book was all cake at the beginning, but I was determined to push through, especially since number 3 was coconut carrot cake. Yes please. Carrots are my least favorite vegetable (not counting canned spinach, but that shouldn't even exist) and my favorite cake. Weird, right? This cake was super yummy. (Once again...the two layer version.)

I forgot to take pictures of the most recent bakes. I made apple tarts (well, really June made them as I was making dinner) and Peach Pandowdy, both of which disappeared before I even considered picking up the camera. I'll try to be better getting more shots. There are plenty of recipes left and I intend to make them all.

Stay tuned for more culinary adventures next month.

No comments: