Monday, January 9, 2023

Book Review 2022

Woo woo! This is one of my favorite posts of the year. Mainly because I love books and I love looking back at all the fun books I read over the last year. Man, I read a LOT this last year. I don't even know how I read that many books, and I know I won't read that many this year. (I mean, probably not.) Let's check out my stats:

I read 28,306 pages from 87 books (that's almost 10,000 more pages than last year!!)

Shortest book: Not Quite Narwhal (32 pages)

Longest book: Aurora’s End (512 pages)

Average book length: 325 pages 

Most popular: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (11,404,099 people also read it)

Least popular: Who Would Win? Extreme Animal Rumble (187 people also read it)

Highest rating on Goodreads: Who Would Win? Extreme Animal Rumble (4.65)

Most read month: April & May (10 books)

Least read month: July, August & October (5 books)

Most of my favorite books came from: Personal Choice! (11 out of 16)

Here are my top 16 favorites of the year (in no particular order) and the review that I wrote for them. Also the key that goes with them. (NC=Neighborhood Club, MB=My Book Group, FG=Family Group, PC=Personal Choice) It was even harder to choose from 87 books this year.  I’ll definitely put a list of honorable mentions at the end. 

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini (MB): I find it difficult to write a review for a book such as this. It seems more appropriate to have a moment of silence. It was really hard to read about the history and destruction of Afghanistan. Especially with current events being what they are. It feels so unfair and wasteful.
It is books like these that make my life feel so fluffy, like a child sitting on a cushion, but still complaining of a sore rear end. There is hurt and heartache everywhere in the world, but I will probably never experience this level of tragedy in my life. I hope that I change a little whenever I read about sacrifice and love to this degree. I hope I try to be a little bit better and more forgiving.
Then again, what is the point of reading, if it does not change you? 

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles (MB): (Audio) I loved this book. It is not riveting or action packed. It is simply the life of a Gentleman, stuck in a hotel for most of his life. It is such a great human interest story. By the end of the book, I felt like I knew all the characters, and I, too, had lived among them, and I didn't want to leave their friendship and loyalty.
It was interesting to go along with the history of Russia as the years went by. I was lost during some of the anecdotes, but other simple stories were so touching. Count Rostov's relationship with Nina and Sophie were so heartfelt.
Although the audio book is very long, I highly recommend it. The reader was fantastic and really made the character of Alexander.

The 7 ½  Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle by Stuart Turton (PC): (Audio) This book was quite confusing in places. It takes a crazy good mind and (I'm assuming) an intense story board to get all these pieces in the right places. It seemed a little harder since I was listening, so it was really difficult to keep track of all the names and characters...and there are plenty. Not even counting the 8 hosts, characters come and go like a drizzle in the rainforest.
I'm so glad I finished it. Somewhere past halfway, the pieces started locking into place and the curtain became sheer enough that clues were more obvious, although they still didn’t reveal all the tricks and turns coming. I was surprised by the end and thought it wrapped up well. I want someone to choose this book for book club so I can enjoy it again, but this time reading.
Good job Stuart! I picked this book up because of the title, but it was quite the adventure.

Restart by Gordon Korman (PC): (Audio) I love Gordon Korman books. I haven't read one yet that I didn't think was awesome. This one was very character driven. It is very interesting to think about how someone might be different coming out of a coma and having amnesia. I guess we usually don't think of people being better people since we assume they would have been decent humans in the first place, but in this case, Chase was quite a punk pre-amnesia.
What changed him? Just falling on his head? Was there always someone good lurking inside? He was by far my favorite character, but I enjoyed all the other characters and their voices as well. And I was impressed how easily people can forgive. But who could resist the charms of Chase?
Such a great book. Pearl and I listened to it together and we both gave it two thumbs up. 

The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer (FG): 4.5 This book was so darn cute. There was so much new vocabulary, it certainly kept me on my toes, since I read it aloud to Daisy. We read it for book group, and what a great pick it was, Grandma!
There were laugh out loud moments and characters you loved and those you loved to hate. There were sighs when certain people couldn't figure things out more quickly, but it all ended well, with girly giggles and exclamations of loving the book entirely.
I like that the book covered more than just romance. There were other intrigues and plenty of witty commentary. Sophy was quite grand, although I possibly adored Charles even more. I'm thinking I'll need to find some more Georgette Heyer books. I'm a fan! 

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir (PC): Andy Weir is so brilliant. Or at least I'm assuming so, since his science definitely goes over my head. This book was so fun. Of course, Ryland is another funny, endearing character. Although the book is sciency and serious, there are plenty of laugh out loud moments. It's great writing.
I really enjoyed the bounce back and forth between space and his memories of earth. It kept a nice flow to the story and was well done. I was expecting the suspense and conflict, but I was not expecting the extra sci-fi elements. Great choice. It took the book in a whole new direction, but I liked it all.
And I appreciated the extreme reduction in profanity from his last book I read. Thanks for that. 

The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan (PC): (Audio) I loved this book. It has been on my list for such a long time. I was worried it wouldn't live up to its reputation, but it was fantastic. Some might think it is a book for boys and boys will love it, but I have seen plenty of girls come through and check it out too.
I loved all the characters. I felt so bad for Horace and I was satisfied with how things went for him. I hope they talk more about the ward kids and we get to hear about all their adventures.
There was so much action in the first book, I'm interested to see where the story goes in the following books. I really like Halt and Gillan. There is some weirdness when you listen instead of read a book. I could have sworn his name was Holt and that is probably what I will always call him.
The Kalkara were sure frightening. They reminded me of the Uruk-Hai in Lord of the Rings.
Anyway, I was very pleased. And I'm already sad that I didn't reserve the second book sooner. Now I'll have to wait...
p.s. Why don't we know Will's last name? It seems that should have come up there at the end.

Guys, I read this entire series this year and loved Every. Single. Book. Highly recommend. 

The One Hundred Years of Lenni and Margot by Marianne Cronin (PC): This was a lovely story. It is interesting because this story doesn't always give you all the pieces. You have to connect some stuff on your own. Which is funny since I'm also currently reading Ranger's apprentice which spoon feeds you all the details so you don't miss a thing. But I digress...
Lenni was such a vibrant, lively soul. I loved her relationship with Father Arthur. (He may have been my favorite character) and her connection with Margot. All the small stories of a life were interesting to read and sometimes hard...but that is life right?
It was hard to picture the paintings, but I liked the idea of capturing the 100 years. I liked the purple clothing, the tattooed porter, New Nurse, the general snarkiness and so much more. There were some profound things said. I couldn't highlight them since I had a borrowed copy. :(
I think I'd like to read it again sometime. It was interesting every time I picked it up and I cried at the end. It was a good book for feeling.

Pearl by Molly Idle (PC): This book is so cute and I absolutely adore the illustrations. Molly Idle is amazing. I was hooked by the title, since I have a daughter named Pearl, but even more by the different interpretations of mermaids. They were stunning. The story was pretty cute too, and therefore, I now own it. I'm super happy to add it to my kids book collection. Lovely.

Fatal Throne by Candace Fleming and Others (PC): (Audio) This book was really fascinating. I remember my mother telling me about all of King Henry's wives, but the information didn't stick. So it was memorable to listen to each story as if the queen herself was telling it.
I liked the point of view of each queen. They each seemed to have something unique and intriguing about them. Some were obviously smarter than others, but in this story, none seemed malicious. In general, I felt sorry for each. Henry didn't dislike his women, but I believe he saw them as a means to an end. They were simply vessels to bring him male heirs, and what a miserable job that ended up. The only male heir being from Jane and he not living long enough to properly be king. I do like that Henry's daughters were able to rule though.
I did cheat and looked up a lot of stuff online as I listened. The net says Henry liked Queen Catherine of Aragon the most, and as she was his first queen and first love, that makes sense, but this story seemed to show that he had a great affection for Jane. He chose to be buried by her and she gave him a son.
I always judge books by whether I can recommend them for younger teens (since I work at a Junior High) and I would say this book had a bit too much sexual content. Naturally, there is much to discuss since there was a focus on baby making (wink) and it wasn't graphic, but maybe more than I want a 12 year old to read.
But overall a great read, uh...listen. 

Starfish by Lisa Fipps (MB): (Audio) This book was really good and very eye opening. At the end, the author says that perhaps people will not believe that other people could be so cruel to someone based on their weight. I admit that reading some of these things, I could hardly believe that someone could treat another like this, but the author says all of these things came out of her own experience in one form or another. HOW TERRIBLE!
I was shocked at some of the things people could say and do. And why? If someone struggles with weight, why become an extra burden. I don't understand the need to shame others?
The mother was interesting to me. She clearly had control issues and I think a lot of it stemmed from how Ellie's weight would impact people's perception of her, the mother. Was she embarrassed? It seems there was much more of that emotion than real concern. I worry about what things I've said to my kids. As a mother, you want what is best for your children. I can see the concern if your child is unhealthy, but the shaming? And there is the issue of genetics. If Ellie is predisposed to be heavier, help her live her best life in the body she has. But if she isn't and she gets to an unhealthy weight, I can see the mom wanting to help.
I myself was thinking of labels I have put on my children. Hoarder, peacemaker, liar. Some of these are true, but it shouldn't define someone and I shouldn't use issues to shame my kids.
Regardless, I think everyone should read a book like this at some point. Stand in someone else's shoes for a moment and see how words and actions affect their heart.
Good job Lisa Fipps. This is a very relevant, eye opening, hopeful book. 

The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman (MB): (Audio) I rarely give out a 5 star review, so let's talk about this book for a second. It was amazing! It was so twisty. It seemed in the end that almost everyone had killed someone. It had that slight feel from the Orient Express that everyone had given the bad guy a good stab, although the ending was not the same in the slightest. It was much better.
I admit that listening threw me off now and then. There were plenty of characters and I got lost here and there because there were plenty of intricate plot lines going on simultaneously. But it didn't matter because Joyce would always bring me back with her journal entries. Wow, love Joyce so much.
Actually, it is very hard to choose a favorite character. I can only hope to be as sprightly as this bunch when I get into my 70s, and if all retirement homes hosted these sorts of people, I'm guessing people wouldn't be so loath to be relocated, but for me, that was probably the greatest part of the fiction. :)
In the audio version, there is an interview with the author at the end. I didn't make the connection right away, but when I looked up Richard Osman, I just loved the book a hundred times more. My first connection with Richard was from Task Master. What a lovable giant. He is so intelligent and funny and then he writes this book out of the shoots that slays so many other mystery books I've read. Crazy how talented some people are. And I loved small things like he purposely decided not to fill the book with profanity. I heart you Richard.
I guess I didn't put any significant spoilers in here. I thought I might, but guess not. Naturally I already put the second book on hold, but I think, for this first book, I want to read it again. Actually read it instead of listen. I'm already excited to go back. What a clever story Richard.

Yep…you guessed it. I read all the ones out there so far and they are all tremendous with the third being my favorite so far!

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness by Andrew Peterson (PC): (Audio) From the first few sentences, I knew I would like this book. It has that silly quirkiness that makes me smile. But also, it is full of adventure and good story telling.
Sure, some things were a little predictable and there were a few too many times when there seemed to be no hope and yet they amazingly survived, but I still loved it all.
I like the kids' personalities, and the voice of Podo was fantastic. I like all the close to home references, like flabbits and totatoes. (Seriously sorry about spelling. I listened, so I'm not sure how everything looked.)
I really wish I could get lost in Mr.(Riteep?)...., the bookseller's store. It sounded so amazing with all the really strange books.
I'm really excited for the rest of the series. (I already bought them all, but I'll probably wait for the audio since I have less time to read nowadays) This is a great new series that is already a classic in my mind. And they are making an animated version? That's actually how I found this book. It looks great too. 

A Deadly Education by Naomi Novik (PC): (Audio) This book was entirely awesome. I would say it is Harry Potter meets Sabriel. There were so many beasties just waiting around the corner to kill another hapless victim.
There was some serious thought put into how the scholomance school works and all the tricks to staying alive and making the best progress. I loved Galadriel's running commentary about how to remain in one piece and graduate with style (which is basically staying alive.)
There was a whole new vocabulary for all the stuff in this book and it took a while to figure it out, mainly since I was listening. But it was still entertaining the entire way. El's very snarky, sassy personality was great and the opposing personality of gallantry and self sacrificing Orion was perfect.
There seemed to be a lot of diversity at the school (just the languages alone) but I was never quite sure who was what nationality.
I loved the book, right to the semi twist at the end. Great stuff. My only issue is the language. I'm so sad there was enough profanity in this book that I can't feel good recommending it to my Junior High kids. Why must authors ruin books so? It is frankly unnecessary. 

Interstellar Pig by William Sleator (PC): I love this book so much. Sure, a lot of it is nostalgia, but it has a great plot as well. I've been trying to get my kids to read this forever and over the break, we did a road trip and I read it to them in the car. They all liked it.
It's strange and sci-fi-y, but it is creative and intriguing. There is suspense and creatures and plot twists. Honestly, it's not a long book, but so good. The cover often throws people off, or even the title. But I will be a fan for life. Read it! 

A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas (PC): (Audio) I wasn't sure what to expect with this book, but I ended up really enjoying it. The connection to well known characters with a twist was refreshing.
I got a little confused here and there. There were a multitude of characters and it was hard to keep track of them while listening. By the end, I got the gist of who was guilty and who was the "murderer" but I couldn't repeat it clearly for anyone else.
Regardless, I really liked the writing and the speech from that time period. And I enjoyed Charlotte's love of food. I can totally relate and I think 1.4 chins is about right. :)
I'm already listening to the next book. Good stuff.

Yes, you may judge these books by their covers, but I can attest they are all good. And some of them are excellent.
















Here are a few more that I feel deserve an honorable mention, or at least a mention. Some may seem like they should have made the top set, but I don't always feel the same as other people about books. That's what makes reading so great. There is something for everyone. But yes, I still recommend all of them. 

Dragonwatch, 4 Years Trapped in My Mind Palace, Rocket Boys, When, Steelheart, The Dictionary of Lost Words, and The Screaming Staircase

Happy reading in 2023!!

No comments: