Wednesday, June 14, 2023

The Longest Date in History

(January 16th sorta, 2023)

I haven't been the best about doing dates with the girls this year. I started off strong (as is common in January) but life has been busy and only a few dates have happened. However, does it count if a date seems to carry over for several months?

Back in January, I took Pearl to Color Me Mine. We each chose a piece and we painted away. I'm usually the slow one, but for some reason, it came together easily this time and I was finished in no time. 



Pearl was struggling with what she wanted to paint. Oh, and they kicked us out after an hour since it was a holiday and they had lots of reservations. Even though there were empty tables, they asked us to leave. So Pearl didn't get to finish. But mine came back a week later and I loved it.


Well, we still needed to find time to go back. Time went by and we kept pushing it back. But I figured we'd have time over Spring Break. Analena wanted to come, so I ended up dropping off the two of them and I got errands done while they painted. I actually recommended that Pearl start over. She washed off her other design and made a new one with Analena. They both loved it and were super happy with their project. 




I went to pick it up later and when the girl went to hand it to me, she let go of the bag before I grabbed it. It plummeted to the floor and you could hear the sickening crack all through the store. Yikes. She knew right away that it was going to be bad. She wrote us a card to come back and get a free piece. When we finally unwrapped it at home, it was shattered. I was hoping for a crack, or maybe just a piece that came off, but it was lots of pieces. Pearl and Analena had worked so hard on it that I couldn't just throw it away. So I worked very hard to glue it back together. 

And yet, even though it was back together, some of the edges were rough and didn't fit as perfectly as I'd like. I was worried about Analena slicing a finger on a rough edge. So I got the bright idea to do Kintsugi. It was a broken bowl after all. It would make sense to add some gold because then it would be meant to have those cracks. But it took a while to get the gold and for me to get it done. I finally finished it last week and gave it to Analena. So a date that started in January, finished in June. But I'm pleased with the end result. 




And we still have a coupon for a free piece. I'm just not sure I have the time...

No comments: