Thursday, November 26, 2020

Pie Day - A New Tradition

Granny V really came up with the Pie idea. I didn't realize how far back it went, but there was a post from 2011 where she did pie for breakfast, so it's been a while. I don't like pie for breakfast. Too sweet and too much on a day when you are already going to eat a lot. But I like the idea of separating pie and Thanksgiving. 

So we tried doing pie the day before Thanksgiving. We actually started making pies on Tuesday. We wanted them to be done and ready for Wednesday. There was a little bit of a scramble for some ingredients and people got shuffled around just a bit but this is how it ended up:

Robyn and Mom: We made a French Silk pie. We didn't use a deep enough dish, so we had too much filling. So I raced out to get more Oreos to make another crust and therefore a second pie. Good choice. Two pies are better than one.

June: She made the Pecan pie I planned to make. We couldn't find the ingredients for June's Coconut Cream pie, so she started to help with mine, but finished it without me when I was making dinner. I can't complain since it was delicious.

Daisy and June: They made a strawberry pie. I was gone so I didn't get to witness any of the construction, but I sure appreciated the end result.

For Wednesday, the pies were available all day. People could eat them whenever they wanted. It was perfect. The girls seemed to really like it and I can see this being a great tradition.




Here is the 'ugly twin' as Robyn calls the second pie we made. It overflowed the edges a bit and not all the cherries had stems. But who cares. It still tasted amazing.

No comments: