Thursday, July 19, 2007

Girls' Camp

I was so happy to attend Girls' Camp this year, although I am not in the Young Women or a Camp Director. I missed my opportunity last year, since my baby was so young, and I promised myself that I would go this year, if there was a chance. Tyler was kind to take the day off from work, and I went up in the morning and spent the whole day with the girls.
There were more girls than usual since Tayshia brought a friend and the Littlefields just moved back into the ward, so we had a good showing with 10 girls. This really is amazing for our sparse Young Women. It was a usual day with crafts (Tie-die pillowcases and button necklaces), wild-life sightings (prairie dogs, chipmunks, deer, and a bear-not sighted in person), fabulous skits, many laughs and spiritual moments. I read scriptures with Ellen and really enjoyed discussing the Savior with her. Charity had us memorize scriptures at lunch time and I think that I can successfully quote four now. It was just great being with the girls and sharing that experience with them. The weather was interesting--one moment it was sunny and the next we would huddle under the canopy while it poured. There was some thunder cracks that sent us all jumping. And then, it would be sunny again. The weather decided to end the evening on a sour note, along with my body, so I left the camp with lightning flashing and a splitting headache.
These are the times when you really wish it was not a hour and a half drive to get home. I said a fervent prayer and headed out. I barely made it past the gate sentries as they were closing up for the evening. By now, my head hurt so badly, that I was controlling the urge to throw-up. Anyone who has had a migraine knows those two can unfortunately be connected. I opened the window for fresh air (and rain) and stoically headed on. The deer were in full force and I drove slowly (that's all I needed was to hit a deer). I passed one so closely that if someone in the passenger seat had reached out their hand, they could have pet the deer out the window. She was standing on the white line on the right hand side of the road. The other three were less obstructing, but I took it slow none the less. I finally made it down the mountain (ears popping all the way). I wonder if the altitude was adding to the head pounding and I was hoping that coming down and the strong dose of Tylenol I took would do the trick.
Time passed and I was finally in Spanish Fork Canyon back on Highway 6. I could feel home just around the corner and I was thrilled. I coasted down the canyon only to be stopped by bumper to bumper traffic. Turns out that at night they close the whole highway down to one lane and let the traffic take turns coming through. I apparently came on the scene while it was Southbound's turn. So I sat in my car for half an hour thinking about a hot bath and being thankful that my head was hurting less.
At last it was our turn and I was finally out of the canyon. 'I'll be home momentarily,' I mentally said to Tyler. That was about the time I heard the scraping noise. Reluctantly pulling over, I found my muffler had fallen off and was dragging on the ground. "YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING!" As many of you know, we don't have cell phones, so I resorted to turning on the hazards and trying to flag someone down. Now if waving your arms doesn't mean 'damsel in distress' than I don't know what does. Regardless, my knight in shining armor was slow in coming. I bitterly thought, "I hope these people feel good about themselves as they drive by a poor stranded girl waving her arms at 11:30pm on the highway" (I may have been a little tired by then). Finally a nice gentleman came back and offered a cell-phone which I gratefully accepted. And yet even while I was talking to Tyler trying to describe the problem, he jumps our of his car with wire (don't we all carry some of that in our car?) and proceeds to tie up the scorching muffler with his bare hands. I guess this boyscout was worth waiting for. He wouldn't give me his name or number and told me that the wire should get me home, and like that, he was on his way. I was so thankful.
So in the end my prayer was answered. Both the car and I got home in one piece (relatively speaking) and I even felt rejuvenated after this stranger's kindness. It makes me believe all over again that we are here to serve others. The Lord gives us opportunities to step in and take his place. I am very thankful for this man showing some compassion and I hope I will look for chances to do the same. I didn't expect Girls' Camp to be quite this eventful, but I was thankful for all my experiences.

I apologize that there are no pictures. I didn't take a camera to camp and the girls aren't back yet.


Deanne said...

Hooray! Let the blogging begin! It sounds like your trip was VERY eventful! I can definitely relate to the migraine thing, but I have to say I've never experienced it with an hour and a half (plus) drive ahead of me with wildlife, traffic, and mufflers in the mix. I can only imagine. (and I hope that imagining is as close as I get to experiencing it!) I'm sure the girls loved having you there. What an adventure!

Deanne said...

and p.s. thank heaven for kind strangers. I ditto your sentiments about being here to serve others. I'm glad you made it home.

buhlersdayoff said...

I love that you joined the group!! As for camp I have some pictures obviously not with you in them because I wasn't there the same time but I will have to send you the cute one with all of the girls!!