Monday, July 23, 2007

Pioneer Day

Even though we live in Utah, I have never been very big on celebrating Pioneer Day. Plus, I don't think of myself as coming from pioneer stock since both my parents were converts. To me, they are the true pioneers for our family. In the meantime, I do think the girls should understand about pioneers and the sacrifices that were made to get people out west. So for family home evening we talked about one of the rare pioneer ancestors on my side and then we made a covered wagon (design, compliments of The Friend).

Both the girls were great builders. Robyn helped put the covering on top and the axles on the bottom.



June helped put the wheels on our wagon. Somewhere along the way, I realized that I was probably only supposed to use a quarter of a graham cracker instead of the whole thing. That may be why we ended up with a double covering.




Ivory tried to help out as best she could. I would periodically toss a marshmallow her way and she would scramble to make short work of it.




And so we created what may have been more useful to the Pioneers in the long run--an entirely edible covered wagon. See, back then, they could only eat the oxen when they got hungry...




Happy Pioneer Day!

4 comments:

Deanne said...

Love the wagon. What a fun project!

Ker said...

Very cute Maleen! You are such a good mommy! What is your blog address so I can add you to my favorites....thescoresbyscoop.blogspot.com

Jodi said...

I am glad you in the blogging world now Maleen. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog. I will add your link to my blog- check often and keep commenting- I love it!

Kellie said...

K you are so cute! I saw that activity and thought huh I should do that sometime... Way to go for actually doing it!