Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Piano Recital 2012

Well, technically, the last recital was in 2012 too. It was last February, but it seems like a really long time ago. And quite a bit has changed since then.

Ivory started playing that same month, and she is doing fabulously. I never have to bother her to practice. This might be because I started using the candles. The girls light their candle when they play and blow them out when they are finished. When their candle burns down to an inch, they get a treat. Oddly, I think the incentive of lighting the candle by themselves is almost as much as the candy promised. (Ivory is not allowed to light her own candle yet.)

Ivory was very excited to perform. She smiled almost the whole way through her performance. I caught a rare moment when she was concentrating.


Robyn has excelled a lot this year. And we don't seem to have any more battles with her. (This is possibly because I don't keep track of what they are practicing. Maybe if I checked, I would see they are woefully behind. But ignorance is bliss, and I haven't heard anything from their teacher yet.)

It is fun to see the kids try to reach the pedal.


Robyn was the only student to play a duet. She played 'Beauty and the Beast' and it sounded fantastic.


And she didn't have to reach the pedal for that one.


June has probably surpassed me in piano abilities. But I still beat her in keeping rhythm. Although June plays well, she tends to rush through her pieces. I try to tell her she should be American, not Russian. (ba-dum, crash. Okay, kind of cheesy, but all band teachers have used some variation of that joke.)


I really love their teacher, and it is super convenient that she lives within walking distance. A lot has changed for her too, since she was pregnant at the last recital. I don't know how she manages all her kids and students, but she does a great job. Thanks Becca.


On a side note, there were a whole bunch of instruments laid out in the same room as the recital took place. The kids were interested in checking them out. Makes me wonder what other talents are yet to be discovered...


p.s. Had to post on 12/12/12. I like matchy days.

3 comments:

meganmushrat said...

Well, I can see if the dinars ever come in (haven't heard much about them lately) or Steve's millionaire friend comes through (he's been mute lately too), we'll have to buy a Synthesizer for your family since they seem to be musically gifted. I presume that Daisy and Pearl will be getting piano lessons when they get old enough too. Makes me want to brush up on my skills as well!

Emma Jo said...

Cute girls. Those instruments all on the table make me want to play something.

¡Vieve! said...

How fabulous to get your kids into instruments - I wish my parents had done the same for me!