Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Piano Recital

Each of the girls start taking piano lessons when they are six. (Ivory is looking forward to beginning this month.) Robyn and June have been taking piano for a while now and I am very proud of their progress. It is nice that most days I don't even have to help them; they just get out their books and play their music. It is nice to have piano lilting through the house. (Granted, I am kind of strict about when they can play because of Pearl's naps, but truthfully, I don't think the piano bothers her.)

This week they had a recital. (I think this is Robyn's first.) Becca, their teacher, rented out a music room at Summerhays and it was very nice. There was plenty of seating and it was fun to see all those in attendance. (Becca has quite a few students now and although I know all the parents, it was great to see Grandparents out there as well.)

The girls did a good job. It took Robyn a minute to get used to the new piano, but then she seemed right at home.


(Don't worry, I took these pictures afterward. I recorded the actual performances and then got closeups later. Can you imagine me just inches away while she is playing?)

June played next to last. (I think there is only one student who has been taking longer than she.) There was a slight mishap where she hit her head on the piano as she tried to scoot the bench in, but her outward demeanor never changed and she went on to play her second song. (That takes some courage.)


I am very happy they are doing well. I don't think either of them love piano, but we don't have many arguments and they seem to tolerate it. And their teacher is stellar. Becca is super patient (especially with Robyn who used to HATE going) and she brings out the best in them.


I think it will be fun when Ivory joins the gang soon. Oh, and isn't Becca cute? She is expecting baby number four in April.

2 comments:

Emma Jo said...

Our two oldest have been taking piano. We had to take a short break while our teacher had twins! and when we went to start up again, Abby refused. It broke my heart a little but I knew that not having to fight with her about it every week did have its merits. I love playing the piano and I want all of my daughters to be capable!!

¡Vieve! said...

How cute! I always wished I had taken piano as a youngster - your girls are lucky to be able to do so.