Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Love can be a strain

This Valentine's Day wasn't my favorite, although I did manage to have a great time in many regards. The bad news is that I pulled a muscle in my back the day before. The good news is that I finally took ibuprofen and when it kicked in, life was much better. Oddly, the same person told me that I shouldn't take it because I didn't want to strain the muscle even more while the pain was masked, but then told me the next day that I should just go ahead and take some. (In the future, remind me to go with the second suggestion earlier.)

Valentine's day was busy but really fun. In the morning, I took the younger girls to a neighborhood get-together. I was very impressed that Susan put everything together and the mom's chipped in and brought some supplies. Even down to the silly details like having balloons on the floor that the children could play with. My kids sure liked them.


This is Daisy throwing one in the air. I like how she is on tiptoe in her boots.


There were several stations the littles could go around to. Daisy helped make a bag.


Pearl was digging the cupcakes, although she wanted to touch the frosting more than actually eat it.


They had a really great time and I am glad I have such motivated neighbors. Daisy was so happy to tell Ivory, when she got home, that she had Valentines TOO. It's a big deal people.

In case you were wondering since I have been rather vocal in the past, I made homemade Valentines, but some of them had (ahem) candy. Three swedish fish to be exact.


So, we didn't overdo it, but I figured since most of the children at the small party can't read sentimental notes, I caved a tad, and went with sugar. (I know, you may all frown at me and call me a hypocrite.) BUT, all the older girls made paper airplanes and wrote personal messages in them. Robyn even wrote on one (to a particular boy) 'Kiss kiss. I love you. I LOVE YOU. (As in CRUSH.)' That made me smile because I remember the good 'ole days.

I was able to attend June's class party and organize a game for the kids. It was really fun to go to her class because since she is farther away I haven't been able to volunteer as much over there. I already knew many of the kids (from birthday parties) and it was fun to be there during a party. One mom busted out the crockpot and made dipped Marshmallows. Yum.


No one ever mentioned that June should bring a box, but I noticed that some people really got into it.


A Valentine Gingerbread house? Are you kidding? I admit that my first thought was that some Mom has too much time on her hands, but really, I bet that kid was pretty proud of her creation. Regardless, we will NEVER be doing that. I don't even like Christmas Gingerbread houses. (Possibly because I can't seem to build them. Add that to snowmen.)

I tried to do June's hair that morning. Can you see the heart? I think this style needs a little practice.


Ivory had a great day. She came home loaded down with sugar and she and Daisy compared goodies. I took this picture because I keep forgetting to get a photo of her poster.


Each child has made a hundred-day poster and every year I forget to take a picture. June made her's with little beads. Robyn's had little hand stickers that formed a larger hand, and Ivory chose pennies. She even started to take them off before I remembered to snap a picture. So if you counted and didn't come up with 100, that is why.

And just because I love her and didn't get any pictures of her that day, here is Robyn and me reading today.


Tyler took this picture because he was home sick. Oh, and he was sick last night too. Let's just say, we didn't have a very exciting Valentine's Day. With one sickie and one hurt back, we just watched a movie and called it a night. You don't have to say anything...I know...we are on FIRE!

3 comments:

Fatso said...

loved every snap posted :)

Deanne said...

I'm so sorry about your back. Boo. Gingerbread valentine house? Never happening here, either (although props to them. That's a lot of work). My kids took shoe boxes, covered them with tin foil, slapped a couple of hearts on it and called it good. I don't think you're a hypocrite at all. I just think times (and expectations) have changed. Your valentines are adorable. Hope your back feels better very soon.

¡Vieve! said...

How fun! That sounds the perfect little V-Day party. How sad for you back, but hopefully it's fixed by now!