Friday, March 8, 2013

Can You Still Feel the Love?

I really don't like it when Easter falls in March. It is too many holidays all crammed together. And I was slow taking down my Valentine's stuff, so it feels like there is hardly any time to get out the green and then put it away in favor of eggs.

Plus, Seamus has not been as diligent about corresponding even since Pearl was born in March. I think she stole some of his glory. But rumor has it, he has some more codes in the works...

But let's take a quick peek back at February. It was not the horrible month of sickness that it usually is. (Thank goodness.) Valentine's was busy as always. With four kids in school, we made almost 120 Valentine's. This encouraged me to keep things simple. I was going to ask the kids for input, but instead I made these and handed each child a bag and told them, 'You're Welcome.'


I mentioned that I might get a Valentine's puzzle. I did (sort of.) I found a box with 10 fantasy puzzles and the kids dug in and did five or six of them in a day or two. They were glow in the dark puzzles, but they didn't glow that much. We finally tried to charge some of the pieces to see if they worked. Tyler thought we were so funny all holding our hands to the light that he took a picture.


Daisy is a good helper with puzzles. She finds pieces and encourages everyone. She wants to be in the middle of everything.


For the love of my life, I planned an event before Valentine's Day to beat the crowds. We went out to see 'Lend Me a Tenor' which was playing at the Hale Center Theater. It was so funny. I love a good comedy, and this one did not disappoint. And the theater is small enough that you feel like you are practically in the play.

I found the play because I had signed up to do the Hale Freezes Over 5K. (Remember, I want to do three races this year.) The Hale run sounded fun because they give you free tickets to a play. (Although I found out later, the tickets are for a certain play and only for a few certain days, so it isn't very flexible.) McKenzie and I dutifully showed up, although the ground was very icy. They even made several announcements about NOT trying for personal bests because the conditions were slightly hazardous.

I was pretty bummed because just a minute into the race, a down syndrome boy stopped running and asked for help. He didn't look distressed, so I continued on, but McKenzie stopped and never got going again. After she helped him back to the start/finish, they disqualified her. It was pretty lame. She was just trying to help. I don't see why they couldn't let her go back to where she was and finish the race.

In the meantime, I was booking my little heart out. There was a pretty big uphill portion that really slowed me down, but I did NOT stop, and I was proud of myself. Even better, when I neared the finish line, I was amazed at what time it read. I crossed the finish line at 28:12. I was hoping to get close to a half hour time, but I had no idea I would beat it soundly. And McKenzie was there to cheer me on at the end. It was really a great moment, with no pictures mind you, because Tyler was off at a scouting event, and June was watching all the kids. (She was so cute about it too. I was gone for almost three hours and when I called she said, "Are you coming home soon, Mom?" I said, "Yes, what are you doing right now?" "Oh, I'm just making lunch for everyone." She is such a great babysitter.)

Tyler and I were able to use our free tickets this last week. We went to see 'The Civil War' musical put on by the Hale. It was really good. I was actually worried I might be bored. Not that I don't enjoy history, but it was ALL singing, and I tend to fall asleep when I stop moving. But the music was very good and the characters pulled on my heart strings. (It is almost a given that I will cry if someone's spouse dies.)

Finally, (since we should end with some pictures) Daisy had a career day at preschool. The kids were supposed to dress as what they would like to be when they grow up. Daisy said she wanted to be a princess.


I think this stemmed from the fact that the teacher said they could dress however they liked...they could even be a princess. Well, it doesn't take much suggestion for Daisy to steer that way. However, she did add her own little twist....

VAMPIRE PRINCESS!!!


June said, "Daisy, you don't want to be that when you grow up, because someone will burn you." Wise words from a ten-year old. I do hope Daisy has different ambitions in a few years, but for now I will be content with my Vampire Princess.

2 comments:

Movie Gals said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
¡Vieve! said...

That race stuff makes me so mad! She shouldn't be disqualified for helping someone out like that! Good job on your time!