Monday, April 8, 2019

Hip to be in Ballroom

Daisy has had a really great competition season. I know it may be boring to watch the same dances again, but I love watching Daisy and Henry dance. And this time around, Jonny's mom got some great pictures. When I am recording, I can't take pictures at the same time, and her camera was much better anyway, so I'm pretty happy with what she got.


This was the big BYU competition that you have to qualify for. Our school went to BYU last year and did rather well, getting first out of all the schools. Daisy wasn't even able to attend last year because they didn't have enough boys to pair with the girls. That was really sad.


But this year, it was all about her. June, who is on ballroom team, didn't even go to BYU. I drove Daisy over and got there a little early. I helped get flowers in some of the girls hair and then the coaches finally showed up.




Here is our Level 2 team coming out (behind our level 1 team). We were orange. (Which was really close in color to the peach team.)




Daisy and Henry were assigned the Tango as their dance. Here they are headed out on the floor.




All the close up pictures are from Jonny's mom, Cathy. These two are beyond cute.









Next up was the surprise dance. I always hope they don't get swing because they have to do that dance later anyway, and this time around, they got Merengue. Love it. Such cute pictures from Cathy.









This is a really fast competition, I'm assuming because they have so much going on in one day. Once the kids were done with the two dances, they did the 'grab-a-new-partner' swing. All the boys get up and choose a girl from a different school to dance with. It is super cute. I think my video will not work because there is a copyright issue with the song. Bummer. It is so cute that two people that have never danced together before can just get up and dance in time. What happened to those good ole days? Now people can only sway back and forth together. You can see Daisy right in front, a little behind the flag.






Next up was awards. Our team got Silver. I'm not sure if we didn't dance as well, or it may have been from a mixup with one of our couples. I think someone didn't get on the floor for their first dance? Not sure. Either way though, silver is pretty good. And not only that, Daisy's team got TOP silver, so they got a small trophy!




The kids were super excited. Good job everyone. I think our Level 1 team got Silver too. Sorry, I don't pay attention as well when it isn't my child.




Pictures of parents to prove we were there. Tyler only came for the beginning, but I'm glad he could see Daisy dance.





The day was not over there though. There was still the Newcomer Swing. That is a long event with call backs, so there is no guarantee when you will get to leave. We had to wait for a while for it to start, so we just enjoyed watching the other dancers. I really love all the crazy, sparkly, over the top dresses. If it didn't cost money, I would come watch even if my kids weren't performing.




We got to see the team competitions as well. These just made me sad, because June's team should have been in there. (I watched them last year.) But they didn't sign up in time. So it was bittersweet. Some of the teams have very ugly dresses, but they all match.







The Star Wars group was the best and I think they won. (Although another team also danced to Star Wars. That has to be a bit awkward.)


Newcomer Swing was fun. Daisy and Henry did a good job. They got called back three times, I think. They were number 317. You can see them on this list. Cathy got a couple more great shots.









There was some strange drama that went on. Daisy came up at one point and told me that Henry was leaving to go to a party, so she had switched partners and her new partner was eliminated so she was done. Jonny, who was sitting next to me, had heard nothing of this, and he was Henry's ride.


Henry was not allowed to leave for the party and he went down to dance with Daisy again, but I'm not sure his heart was in it. He didn't even tuck in his shirt. It was a long day. I'm okay that he was done. They didn't get call backs again, and that was okay for everyone.




I'm so proud of these two kids. They are young but they still work hard and do a great job. I'm glad they are partners and friends. The trophy was fun, but I hope they feel good about their performances either way. Competition season is over. The only thing left is a showcase next month. That is the perfect way to end the year.



No comments: