Sunday, May 25, 2008

I Just Called To Say...I Love You??

Actually, I don't think that was exactly why I called. It was much more selfish than that, unfortunately.
DISCLAIMER: I should preface this post with the fact that I am not civil in the wee hours of the morning. If I stay up late, that is fine. But if you wake me up (and I don't want to be awake), I am less than cheery. I try to remain composed because usually when you are awakened in the middle of the night, it is for things like sick children and hungry babies—and they deserve more than a cranky mom. So I will get up, but if there is any way out of it, I am all about taking the coward's way out. For the record, I do get up and feed the baby; but beyond that, I wake Tyler up and let him take over if said child does not return to slumber rapidly. So what I am trying to say here, is that I am selfish and a half when it comes to sleeping.
So the other evening, Tyler went back to work and said that he would probably be late (meaning he would try to be home before breakfast the next morning). I am used to this, so I read a book and eventually drifted off; only to be awakened at 1:50 am to June. She came in and told me that she had thrown up. She didn't look very sick, and I really did not want to get out of bed. This is where I would normally roll over and tell Tyler that he should get up and help June, but he was vacant from the premises. And now we come to the really embarrassing part. Instead of getting up and helping June, I told her to crawl into bed with me, and then I called Tyler. Yep, I knew he was awake, so I called and told him to come home and see if June had really thrown up. How lazy is that?? (I hadn't even sat up at this point). But amazingly, he didn't even argue, he just said, "You're knight will be home soon."
I hung up the phone, relieved that I didn't have to stir and then Ivory started crying. Dang it. I guess you can only postpone the inevitable for so long. I figured it would be irresponsible to let her cry until Tyler got home, so I hoisted myself out of bed and went to check on her. June was already asleep so I left her in bed and willed myself to be patient as I went to check on the little one.
It was probably just a bad dream because I rubbed her back for a few minutes and she drifted back to sleep. I was already asleep myself by the time Tyler got home, so I didn't hear the puking verdict until the next morning. And the results are in...yes, she had thrown up. Actually, it was enough that Tyler took her sheets outside to hose them off (yuck), and yes I am the laziest person you know right now. It is definitely a good thing that I married such an understanding, kind man.
Normally I’m a reasonable, unselfish person during the day, so feel free to call if you need something, but after 10 pm, don’t call me…I’ll call you.

7 comments:

Stacy said...

I cannot believe that Tyler came home so you didn't have to get out of bed! That is crazy. What a guy. David and I are exactly the opposite. I can usually get him to do things during the day and when we are at family gatherings, he is great with minding the kids while I sit and chat. But...at night....don't bother. By the time I am finally able to get him out of bed to take a turn I am already wide awake and unable to go back to sleep.
So...thank your lucky stars :)

Unknown said...

I think you should blame it all on your pregnancy. I think being pregnant should get you all sorts of freebies without being called selfish!! (But just for the record, I don't think all husbands would do that, so good job!)

¡Vieve! said...

I feel very much that if I were ever to have kids, this is exactly how I'd be. Good on ya.

Hot Chocolate said...

That's too funny. First, that you actually made that call to your husband at work. That alone deserves much laughter. But then, he responds with, "Your knight will be home soon." I love it! I can just hear him saying that. You guys are a riot. Even with puke, work all-nighters, and interrupted sleep you have a way of making life happy. Way to go.

Jamee said...

LOL! Maleen- you kill me.

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

I'm with you Maleen. I must admit I have been enjoying being able to sleep through the night since I've been home and recovering, while Jeff (Saint Jeff) gets up to tend to Bailee, who still gets up about once per night. We have good men.

Anonymous said...

I could not agree with you more on the love for sleep. I can stay up really late, but I don't like waking during the night or early in the morning. I'm definitely the night owl. Luckily, Mark is an early bird so when I can on weekends I take advantage of him getting the boys up while I get a little more shut eye! What a lucky gal you are for having such a great hubby!