Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Stick with the Norm

So, I don't really think any of you keep track of what I am currently reading (on my sidebar), but from the end of November to just recently, it has been Moby Dick. I took a Herman Melville class in college and never read Moby Dick. It was the only test I have ever taken that I randomly chose letters on the multiple choice (this is the first time I have confessed this).
So the guilt being what it was, I told myself that someday I would actually read the book. Well, I am still trying...
I have checked it out twice and and have been reading it over a month and I am only half-way through. I don't know what it is about it, but it is seriously boring to me (at least the first half—who knows, maybe he was saving all the suspense and action for the second half). I only get through a few pages before I fall asleep each night, so it has been slow going. I finally decided to give myself a break.
A book came up that I had on hold, When You Are Engulfed In Flames. There was quite a queue for the book (I think I have had it on hold for several months) and when I checked it out they said that the check-out time had been reduced from three weeks to two because of the long line of people who wanted to read it. Great...this must be an awesome book. This will be the perfect break from Moby Dick; something I can read in a couple of days like normal. I originally put it on hold because it was a library pick (meaning someone who works there recommended it). I usually only read things that my mom recommends or a close friend...

...and it looks like I will have to go back to that method. I must admit that David Sedaris has flair and a great writing style. His stories are interesting and entertaining. However, if you would like to read a chapter that is devoid of sexual references of some sort, and swearing, then his book is not for you. I wanted to finish it, but after a chapter about a charming cranky lady with quite a potty-mouth I figured it was just not my kind of book.

So, it is back to Moby Dick. Can't wait.

8 comments:

Kayla said...

Wow, Moby Dick seems like it should be an entertaining book. I've never read it personally but I know alot of people have. I can totally understand struggling getting through a book. However, there really are some good books that I read in high school and college that I still love. Of Mice And Men, The Hiding Place, Animal Farm, To Kill A Mockingbird...all very good. If you need a break from Moby Dick go for one of them...they're still classics but maybe they'll be more entertaining. Who knows? Just a suggestion! =D

Alissa said...

i noticed that you were reading it and was really surprised. david sedaris is more MY kind of author... if that tells you anything, lol. Matt and I both really enjoy him.

You should pick up Stiff by Mary Roach. Hilarious! (It's non-fiction and fascinating.)

Maleen said...

I really like his stories and style of writing...I just feel that I lose a piece of my innocence after each story.

Wright Family said...

I don't think I could ready Moby Dick. I have hard time reading Charles Dickens novels. So have you finished the book you had on hold yet or just barely got it. Please do tell me how you like. I'm always looking for something new to read. Right now I'm reading Mira Mirror. It's okay but not as fast passed as I'd hope it to be.

Cindy B said...

I have started Moby Dick 3-4 times, and still never made it out to see. I finally gave up. I mean, who says you have to read a book even if it is a classic?

meganmushrat said...

I remember reading Moby Dick, and it was a tough go. Not much action and that Queequeg (did I spell that right?) who was SO weird. I guess the reason it's so hard to get through is because it is not meant to be an entertaining action story, but a character study about how concentrating on revenge can ruin your life as well as the lives of those around you. Crime and Punishment was the same sort of thing. And I totally agree with you about the language thing. It makes me wince everytime I hit a bad word. And you're right about the 'losing innocence' thing. I read an x-rated book back when I was in college, and I still get those images in my head sometimes. Not worth it!

Scott J. said...

I read a lot of juvenile literature because I have a problem with the same issues you do and they tend to have great stories and storytellers, but not as much adult content.

¡Vieve! said...

I have never read any of the "classics" that people talk about, and always tell myself I will someday. Way to give it a go.