Monday, September 24, 2007

Busy WA Weekend

So, we packed up the kids and drove for too many hours just to attend my High School Reunion. Some of you may be proud of me, others may be appalled, but I think I would do it again...but not for the reunion. Since that was the reason we went, we'll get that out of the way. I saw a few friends there, but the majority of the people I would like to have reconnected with were not present. I won an award along with an LDS friend of mine-- we tied for having the most kids in our class. Oddly enough, she lives an hour and a half away here in Utah, but we both traveled 16 hours to get together (there must be a better way). But overall, the reunion was rather uneventful. We stopped by the high school and showed the kids around. There was a football game that night, but we didn't stay.

This rock gets repainted all the time. I kind of like the space theme.

The most fun we had though was just being together as a family. On the drive there we stopped in Baker City in Oregon. We found this cute little dive called the Sumpter Junction Restaurant. It was all decorated in train motif and there was a train that chugged all around the restaurant. It even passed right by our table. The girls loved it. Ivory always knew when it was coming (she could hear it) and after dinner they followed it all around watching it's route through the restaurant. If you are ever in the area, I recommend it.

Saturday was a blast with the kids as well. We took them to the Puyallup Fair. I usually go every year and sometimes enter my crosstitches. This year, we went as a family. The girls went on rides and I have never seen Robyn smile so large as when she was on the kids roller coaster. She didn't stop smiling until the ride stopped. They went on some motorcycles and the carousel and Daddy took Ivory on the giant slide (we may have said she was 2). I talked Timmy into going on the Wild Cat with me (a large roller coaster) and as usual he loved it after it was over.
We explored the animals and saw some of the big Clydesdale horses (Whew, those are big horses). We shopped for souvenirs and each of the girls picked out a new stuffed animal to love, while Tyler found a new leather wallet. And of course, you can't forget treats. I got Fudge, while Robyn sampled the Cotton Candy. June went for the Strawberry Shortcake and it was huge and tasty. We forgot our camera of course but afterwards we took some pictures of the face painting they had done (or leg painting in Ivory's case).




The fair was great fun and after coming home we stopped by Titlow Park. It is on the Puget Sound and it is fun to look for shells and crabs. Unfortunately the tide was in so we settled for squishing coins on the train tracks and playing on the big toys.



Moments like these make you realize that time spent with your family is precious and it builds a great foundation of love and trust. I adore my husband and my three little girls are priceless. There is probably nowhere else I would rather be than with them (or sleeping in, I really like to sleep).
And to end this blog entry, we want to leave you with something that made us laugh along the trail of life.


Too bad it doesn't say REST "IN PEACE" AREA.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Long drive. I would like to say that Maleen made me drive the whole way. Unfortunately, she didn't. She made me ride shotgun the whole way. That may not sound bad until you factor in the duties performed by the person manning the "shotgun" position: entertain children, feed children, entertain children, change movies, entertain children, read books, entertain cranky children, fill water while driver is going over pot holes and winding down impossible mountain passes, entertain cranky children, rearrange, entertain crankier children, clean cabin, entertain crankier children, navigate, entertain very cranky children--and all this while the driver...well relaxes behind the wheel. It was rough of her to drive the whole way.

'Twas fun and I'd do it again...if I could drive.

Maleen tells me I should add that she didn't drive the whole way...but that driving was somewhat evenly split between the two (with "somewhat evenly split" meaning she drove more than I did).

Deanne said...

What fun! I don't envy the driving, but the rest of it sounds great! I never realized what a responsibility it was to drive shotgun until Tyler reminded me. Thanks. Anyway, I'm sorry your reunion was uneventful, but glad to hear you made it fun!

Ker said...

Stallion-- you da man!!!!!

jennie said...

I LOVE that billboard! Speaking of creepy!