Monday, September 10, 2007

Catch-22

I'm just frustrated! This morning Ivory woke up damp and sweaty. She was cool to the touch as if a fever had broke and she was extremely lethargic. I watched her as she ate breakfast and worried about her inactivity (very unlike her). I figured I should watch her a while and see how she progressed but I thought I would get a second opinion. I called our pediatrician to talk to a nurse. When I described the symptoms, the nurse said I should bring her in so they could look at her. I sounded hesitant over the phone because I hate to pay money to have them tell me exactly what I already know. The nurse was indignant and then condescending. She said, "If it were my baby, I would bring her in to be checked." Thanks for the guilt trip I didn't say. Ivory was very lack-luster and I worried she might have an ear infection since she had been crying a little at night, so my paranoid side finally won. I took her to the doctor. And guess what, there was nothing wrong with her. By the time we arrived, she was more peppy, and she had no fever or red in her ears. I am so glad that I was able to pay money to have them tell me what I already knew (minus the ears). But really moms, what if there is something wrong? It is such a catch-22. I am sure if I hadn't gone in, she would surely have had some strange disease and I would be kicking myself every night as I watched her suffer knowing I could have helped her, if only... Sheesh, the thrills of motherhood. Always guessing and trying our hardest. I would like to call the nurse back and say, "Hey, it's hard enough...without the guilt trips."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Part of properly caring for your child is making sure the financial situation is in check. Anybody (nurse or otherwise) who makes a mother feel guilty for taking care of the "other sides" of parenting should be flogged.

But then, most people should be flogged—including myself on occasion. Oh well, the price you pay for doctors' services is not the price of fixing the broken arm or restoring health after illness; no, you pay for peace of mind (as much as can be afforded a parent).

Ker said...

You did good Maleen! Peace of mind is worth any amount of money.

Wright Family said...

Totally know where you are coming from. I have called the nurses countless times to see if I really need to bring my child in. Now that I have changed doctors I really like the nursing staff. I feel like they will only tell me to come in if I really need too. With my other doctor's office I felt like instead of being a nurse they were more like sales people for the doctor. Trying all the different ways to get his business more money. I never felt like they really cared about my well being or my child's for that matter. I'm glad Ivory is doing better. It's so sad to see your normally happy child not feeling well.

Deanne said...

Again, you're not alone. You definitely pay for the peace of mind, but how do you get peace of mind about your pocketbook? I think that if there's nothing wrong with your child, they should give you your money back, and replace it with a gold star on your forhead for being a good mom! I'm glad she's o.k. though