Monday, November 19, 2007

That's Gonna Leave a Mark

Tyler plays football with the guys at work every so often. They play more during the holiday season and I try to come watch if I can. The girls like to play at the park nearby and I split my time between the two. It was a rare moment when I was actually watching the game when Tyler's coworker, Wade, had just caught the ball and he was making a dash for the goal line. It seemed that he slid and went down with several guys in close proximity, but it looked more like the wet grass took him out than a fellow player. He didn't get up and I was concerned as to what happened. Apparently he broke his ankle. I was watching and it happened just like that--in the blink of an eye.
It seems that is how injuries happen. One moment, everyone is fine and the next you hear someone say, "That's gonna leave a mark." Here are a couple of my favorite this year that I would gladly have taken myself.

This is Robyn after she chipped a tooth in the car. Her fat lip made me cry for days (and this was right before she was getting birthday pictures).

This is your classic running into the door frame when you're not looking. It looks painful.
There is no good way to prevent these accidents. They come when they will and we deal with them as they come. Just this morning, I smashed my head into the top of the car as I got in and almost knocked myself out (wish I could do that one again). Unfortunately, there are no do-overs. If only I could wish that none of us would have to go through these days. As mothers we are hard on ourselves (my nerves were shot the day June fell down the stairs from the top). Let's remember that these incidents truly are accidents. Let's hope we all have a bandaid and a kiss ready, that it isn't our fault (most of the time) and that our kids will still love us when it is. And lucky for all of us, usually it doesn't leave a mark for long.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ouch. By the way, Ivory may, or may not, have fallen down the stairs (again).

Doug and Becca said...

Those look like they hurt. Don't you feel bad for little kids and all the owies (however you spell that word??) they get.

Nathan Lindsay said...

Robyn looks so much like you Maleen (overlooking the fat lip). Such a pretty girl. And Ivory has such pretty eyes!

I have a problem with our truck. Practically everytime I lean in to get the kids buckled in, my hair gets caught on the hook above the door. When (using all my weight) I step backwards out of the car, it yanks a handful of hair out. This has happened over and over again (can't I learn???). It is beyond maddening.

Nathan Lindsay said...

oops. that wasn't nathan. i accidently used his account.

Deanne said...

Ouch! I'm sorry about all of them. I'm glad that you didn't pass out. That would have been bad. I think Robyn looks cute with a fat lip (it would take a lot to make her not cute). And Ivory with that goose-egg gave me a headache just looking at it! (again, still cute with the owie on her).

Chelle! said...

OUCH!!! Each one of those "marks" looks dreadful!!! I am glad they are all okay!!

Desmama said...

Ohhh, those both look painful, but the little one with the wonk on her forehead looks particularly ouchish. I love that she's holding a dropper of baby pain meds! Yep, you're gonna need that, sweetie.