Sunday, April 25, 2010

The Power of Music

I know I promised the blessing story, and I do have all the pictures ready, but something else happened tonight that I wanted to blog about.

But let's go back in time for a minute.

Growing up, my mother used to sing to me. Her voice is not professional by any means, but it is certainly pleasant. I loved listening to her sing (did you know that Mom?) She sang old songs like Lemon Tree and Where Have All the Flowers Gone and Rickety Tickety Tin (um...you probably shouldn't have sang that one but I liked it anyway). I told myself when I grew up I would sing to my kids too.

And I do, but not often. I actually sing quite a bit but most of it is made-up snippets, not real songs. Sometimes I sing instead of yelling (It helps me calm down and it sometimes makes my kids laugh to hear me sing threats). I always forget to sing the real songs, or even the fun kiddy ones.

Then along came Daisy. I decided to sing to her one day and she fell asleep as I sang to her. It was like a miracle. And it restored my faith because I figured it was an old wives tale that you could sing kids to sleep (singing did diddly squat with my other kids). So every so often I would sing Daisy to sleep and love the fact that she seemed to enjoy it. Hearing me sing, Ivory would sometimes request a song; and I would sing to her too.

Fast forward to tonight. Tyler left to go home teaching, which left me with all five kids to put to bed. I won't lie and tell you that it goes smoothly every time. Tonight it felt more relaxed. I knew it was getting late but the sun was still up, so we were going slowly. Ivory was in bed, Robyn was in bed (they share the bunk bed). I was holding Pearl in the swinging chair, and Daisy crawled up next to me to snuggle and swing. (I think June was downstairs, but I know she was listening.) I asked if they wanted me to sing a song, and each made a request. So I sat and sang and swung. Pearl went to sleep, Daisy warbled next to me at times. Robyn finally dozed off and Ivory was not far behind. It was perfect. I put Pearl in bed and went to tuck Daisy in. She is adorable at the moment. She loves prayers and loves to repeat the words I say. Afterward, she wanted to give me hugs. She reached her little arms around me, said 'hugs' and I breathed in her lovely freshly bathed toddler scent. I closed my eyes and just thought, "Thank you Heavenly Father for letting me be a mother."

Not all nights are so glorious, but you live for those moments when heaven is not far away; it is right in your home.

3 comments:

erin said...

their little arms around you - the i love yous ... their cute prayers, really melt my heart too. too bad i can't remember them that way all the time! i think i am going to start singing my threats!! good idea!

Shawn, Ashlee and Addison said...

When I try to sing to Addi she tell me to "stop singing!" But I have a terrible voice so who can blame her.

I think it's so cute that your kids love it!

meganmushrat said...

You never know what things your kids will remember about you. I am deeply touched that you enjoyed my singing, and am glad that you are carrying on the tradition. I sang to Tim when he was little too, but heaven help me if I try to do it now! I love that you're a mother too.