Sunday, September 23, 2012

Act Now!! Don't Delay!!

I've noticed that the mountains have a beautiful fall tinge to them. I headed out to the canyon to run 8 miles yesterday. That was some supreme torture. We (McKenzie and me) did not get out there until the afternoon, and we are morning runners. This was evident in the fact that the sun sucked all life out of us and left us like husks to crawl our way the last few miles. (Oh, and we were pushing her sweet little girl who was an angel and slept most of the way. But add stroller weight and that run was rigorous.)

Wait, I was talking about the canyons and the colors. My goodness...the COLORS!! So amazing. I decided that we should enjoy them as a family. And if you can ignore all the whining, complaining, arguing, noise, and general chaos that ensued from the backseat off and on, I would say it was a successful trip. And holy cow. The colors were amazing. Especially on the Sundance side of the mountain. I don't know the area very well. I just know that you can take the Alpine Loop from either the Provo or American Fork Canyon. The road just gets a tad narrow at parts. (Like freakishly small, and I realize that I have never been the driver before because I would remember being that nervous.)

But I would go again in a heartbeat and I think you should too. And you should go NOW. Fall happens in the canyons earlier than it happens around here. When you notice that your neighbor's trees are partaking in the Autumn festivities, it is too late to see the splendor of the mountains. They are kind of big overachievers.

I even grabbed some samples.


It involved a minor hike, several scrapes, a stowaway spider, and then many subsequent conversations about spiders the rest of the way home. (But don't worry folks...as long as you are wearing your seatbelt, spiders won't bother you. My kids believe anything.)

So, take a trip out to the canyon...soon.

You'll thank me.

Maybe.

I guess it depends on how good your kids are and the number of spiders that make it into your car.

But the colors.

Totally. Worth. IT.

4 comments:

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

Beautiful sample! We're coming out next weekend, I'm thinking we should take a little drive up there. That would be a good date for Jeff and I, thanks for the idea! I've driven that loop myself. I meant to go on a relaxing drive when I was stressed one time, it didn't help, as you could guess. ;)

Emma Jo said...

Oh how I love fall.

meganmushrat said...

The mountains up around Mount Rainier have wonderful colors too. But I'm surprised you didn't take more pictures while you were there. I figure either you forgot your camera or were so busy keeping little ones in line that you didn't have time to use it. I agree with you. Nature has a wonderful way of saying goodbye to the summer.

¡Vieve! said...

I am loving that its finally fall. For the colors, yes, but also so that a run isn't the hottest thing in the world, sweat pouring off you everywhere. :)