Sunday, September 30, 2012

Double Digits

People, it is possible that either my kids are getting old, or I am. Because one of them just hit double digits, and that means the rest aren't far behind.

Yep, June turned 10 today. That is amazing. Awesome. Wonderful. And slightly scary. Is it possible that I have less time with her at home from here on out than I have had already? I don't think I care to think about that at this time.

Instead, let's go over a great birthday. (Our fourth Sunday birthday of the year...need I remind you?)

I went to the party store late last night, only to find they didn't have any helium. Well, that kind of ruins most balloon plans, but I had another trick up my sleeve.

I bought regular balloons (10 of them) and we taped them to June's door so when she opened it in the morning, that would be the first thing she saw. Here is the door yesterday evening.


Then Tyler snuck the GoPro below the plastic to get a good view of the proceedings. It doesn't show much, but you get the idea. Door opens, balloons descend, child surprised.


We opened gifts first thing in the morning because some lucky mom has meetings and I didn't want to miss out. (So excuse the jammies and morning hair.)

June loved all her gifts. She is still easy to please. How long is that going to last anyway? Then again, she got money from Grandparent's and who doesn't like money on their birthday? Grandma Cazier found this Unicorn card that talked and sounded almost exactly like the silly unicorns in Charlie the unicorn. Really kind of creepy grandma...


I admit that I didn't even let the girls pick out gifts for June. I just grabbed things and wrapped it all in hopes that no one would argue. It worked like a charm and everyone was very excited to see what she opened because no one had seen it before.


Except that we lost one of the gifts. No idea where it went to. A black hole has opened somewhere in our home and has claimed one baggy book and one present. There one moment, gone the next. Also a little creepy. (Or you know, it could be Pearl, but if that is the case, she has a mighty secret stash that NO ONE has discovered yet. And we have all looked. In fact, Robyn looked hard enough that she found MY secret stash of presents, and then I had to stop all searching. Oops.)

In the evening, we had pie. June requested Lemon Meringue Pie instead of cake. I had never made one, but I figured it couldn't be too hard. I think it turned out great.


And then the meringue shrunk. Strange, but still tasty. We had pie the minute we got home from church, even before dinner. But that is what happens when your birthday falls not only on Sunday, but on Fast Sunday. I was perfectly content to let everyone eat pie while we waited for dinner to cook. June was especially nice about the whole thing because Pearl got overly excited and blew out over half the candles before June had a chance to catch her breath. Here are the last four that June got to take a shot at.


I can tell that June is growing up and her tastes are maturing. She requested Shrimp for dinner. I can't blame her though. This lemon, butter shrimp is crazy delicious.


I tried to get some serious pictures of the birthday girl, but it wasn't really happening.


I guess we'll try harder when we do her gallery.

June is such a delight in our family. I love her personality and curious mind. She explores and searches. She tries to do the right thing. She loves her sisters and is generally a pretty good example. And she is ten. I'm thinking it is about time to get some free babysitting out of her. We have waited long enough.

Just kidding.

A little.

We'll probably pay her once in a while.

Happy Birthday my June bug. You changed my life forever, but certainly in a good way.

5 comments:

Emma Jo said...

Cute. Fun. Yum.

Aubry Macbean said...

Was it Zurchers that was out of helium? I went there to get balloons for Ethans birthday on a saturday night two weeks ago and they were out then too. I ended up going to party land to get him some balloons. Happy Birthday to June.

meganmushrat said...

Sounds like June had a super birthday. I sure wish I could have been there to sample the shrimp (but Grandpa is glad he missed it!) However, he certainly would have eaten his fair share of the lemon meringue pie - one of his all-time favorites. Maybe I should come to Utah on MY birthday and request a dinner. Happy birthday June!

Deanne said...

Double digits. Crazy! It looks like she had a great birthday!

¡Vieve! said...

How fun, I can't believe she's 10! That pie looked delicious, and I still can't believe this helium shortage.