Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Brigham City Temple

Yesterday, we had the great opportunity to take our family to walk through the soon to be dedicated Brigham City Temple. This was such a fabulous opportunity because the girls often hear of the temple, but they know they are not allowed inside until a certain age, so they were all very excited to hear they could go inside on this special occasion.

We went once before as a family, (to the Draper temple) but I'm sure it was lost on most of them, considering their ages. This time around, I know that June and Robyn will remember pieces of their experience.

It was a bit of a drive, but well worth it. When we got near, you could see the temple from the freeway.


We planned to eat dinner when we arrived, but we were running short on time, so we went straight to the buses that would take us to the temple. I wrote last time that the buses were their favorite part, but this time they were just a side bonus.

We didn't get any pictures before or during. They obviously don't allow photography inside. We watched a brief video and then waited in line as the crowds slowly progressed toward the entrance. Some things I would like to note:

The Costco game is always a favorite in large crowds. (And it is named such because I made it up at Costco one day.) We spent some time playing it to keep us busy in line. To play, someone picks something to find in the crowd. For example...find someone in a green skirt, or find someone with red shoes. You can make it as hard or easy as you like, but remember that the more difficult the object, the longer you will look and the easier it is for kids to become restless again. (I'm just saying that you probably shouldn't look for a checkered purse or someone equally rare.)

Another thing I want to remember is the white plastic booties they have you wear. They are a little itchy, and the girls were a tad bothered by them. Pearl in particular would stop every ten minutes or so and tug at her booties, hoping to rearrange them in a better position. Robyn even leaned in and whispered at one point, "Mom, when you come to the temple, do you always have to wear these booties?" I was happy to tell her they weren't normal attire. Everyone was happy to take them off. (Another note to self: People were sitting in a line to put the booties on you. You just lifted your feet and they slide them on. I made a Cinderella comment about them being a perfect fit and then told the lady that she had probably heard that dozens of times. She said it was the first reference to Cinderella she had heard the entire time. Seriously?!? I must be the only one living in my own personal fairy tale.)

The temple was amazing. It was a little busy keeping all five girls accounted for and quiet, but they did a good job, and I really think the older ones could feel the spirit. June even told me after that when she walked through the font room that the spirit flipped inside her and she was so excited to think that she could go there in just a couple years.

I personally love to see all the art they have chosen for the walls. I also love the details in the buildings, from light fixtures to ornate flooring.

After our tour, we stopped at the end for cookies. I remembered we took a family photo last time, so I thought that would be a good idea again. It wasn't exactly the same this time around.


I think part of the reason was because it was all in the underground parking garage. It just made for a very noisy atmosphere. We quickly departed and headed for the temple grounds.

We did see this impressive tile mural on the way out. We stopped to take a picture.


I should apologize now because we didn't have the wide angle lens, so everything is very up-close and personal, and nothing really fits, especially when you are standing by a large temple, but you will still get the idea.

The weather was perfect, and the sun was slowly setting. I love this picture. Pearl is standing by Robyn and you can barely see her peeking eyes. And Daisy is back with me, if you are wondering.


This is my favorite shot of the day, and Tyler took it. (He is not a bad photographer either.)


Nothing like the present:


I tried for another group photo. It wasn't meant to be, but you get the picture.


(I wish you could see Tyler's tie, because he was wearing the same one when he went to the Draper temple. Purely coincidence, but funny.)

I took some outside shots of the temple.


The girls did a mini photo-shoot by the fountain.


(June's bandaged hand is from some serious blisters from her school playground.)

Tyler eventually decided to walk back to get the car, so the girls and I crossed the street to the Tabernacle to wait.


I was finally far enough away to get a better shot.


It was such an amazing evening. We ended at a park where we ate our picnic dinner and then the mosquitoes ate us. We didn't stay too long on account of them.


I am so grateful for temples. I am thankful for the priesthood power that seals me to my family and the opportunity to bring temple blessings to those who have gone before. And I am very blessed to live somewhere where 14 beautiful temples are all within easy traveling distance.

6 comments:

meganmushrat said...

Both Dad and I really enjoyed reading this. I am so glad that you are doing such wonderful things with your family. As usual, I am in awe at how well you have turned out considering the rest of your family!

Scott and Svetlana said...

Awww, such a touchy post. Thank you for sharing. Girls looks amazing.
Love the comment about Cinderella :)

K Cazier said...

Maleen, I finally figured out how to leave comments... Again!
Your temple trip looked lovely and your family is beautiful!!! We took our boys to the Rexburg Temple, What a great experience!

¡Vieve! said...

That looks amazing. I'm sorry I missed the chance to go up to the temple - my own procrastination is to blame here.

Chelle! said...

This is such a beautiful temple. The pictures are simply beautiful!

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

Mmm, so pretty!! That's awesome that you guys went. I love the last photo...and all the other ones too.