Thursday, September 6, 2012

Summer Reading

During the summer, I wanted to read with the kids more. It is convenient that they have a book contest in school every spring and they give you the reading list over the summer. It seemed reasonable to chip away at that list since I didn't have anything prior in mind.

There is a list of twenty books, and we only made it through 10 1/2, but I enjoyed the time with the kids and it was fun for me to listen to the stories as well. Most of these books are well known, but still I hadn't read a lot of them. And even the ones I did read as a child were fun to review.

I'll show you which ones we read and then give you my recommendations:











My top three picks from our summer reading were:

3. The House of Sixty Fathers- I include this book because while I was reading it, I was surprised it was on the list. It was VERY tragic, and a little violent. The whole time I told myself that it must have a happy ending for the kids. Don't worry. It did. And I cried. I would not recommend this book to read to your three year old, but something for kids to think about as they get older.

2. Henry Huggins- I read the Ramona books when I was little and avoided Henry Huggins because it was 'cleary' for boys. My mistake. It was really funny and one of the books I enjoyed the most.

1. Superfudge- I have my own opinions about Judy Blume, but I should give her credit for this book. It was hilarious. It did brush on some topics that might bring awkward questions, like how babies get here and the truth about Santa, but I am still glad I read it to the kids.

*I should note that although Rabbit Hill was on the original list, we did not get to read it, but hopefully will in the future since it got lost in the house and I paid the library for it. It is one of the hazards of borrowing. So let's hope it is a good one to own.

3 comments:

meganmushrat said...

I have read at least half of these books, and they do bring back memories. Rabbit Hill is one of my favorites, and if you do get around to reading it to the girls, try to get the sequel "The Tough Winter" as well. Same characters and a great story. Oliver Butterworth has another great book - I think it's called "Jenny's Ear". And, of course, there are several more books in both the Borrowers and the Cricket in Times Square series. You've got me intrigued, though. I'll have to try to read The House of Sixty Fathers.

¡Vieve! said...

Somedays, I miss the days of school, and reading these awesome books. Adult books just aren't the same.

Chelle! said...

I loved Superfudge and Henry Higgins...such great memories of being a kid.