Monday, October 28, 2013

No Guts, No Glory

I am super excited to be bringing you a current event. Meaning it didn't happen five months ago, or even a week ago. It happened TONIGHT. This is good news because it means that I don't have to add it to my ridiculously long list of things I still need to blog. (I am really considering tackling NaBloPoMo. I certainly have enough content to fill a month.)

What you see before you is a table of unpretentious orange vegetables. But in the course of one evening, they will be transformed into the likes of creations you have never seen.


There was a bit of drama in the beginning. We bought pumpkins a week ago, but the small ones rotted. I picked up a couple more today, but that meant shifting pumpkins around. This was unacceptable to one individual. She came with a very bad attitude, but after some threatening, I am happy to say that she turned it all around and was very pleasant the rest of the evening.


Something funny that I want to note: One of the new pumpkins I picked up was a deeper orange than the rest. It was almost a red-orange. When I was telling Robyn about the pumpkin change, I told her that I was giving my pumpkin to Ivory because I wanted the orange one. She gave me the funniest look and finally said, "What color is the other one?" Ha. Yes, they are both orange obviously....just one more orange than the other. It all makes sense in my head.

The kids got right to work. I was so proud of how they attacked their task with a will. Robyn was fast and was the first one finished this evening.


Pearl wasn't quite sure what she was supposed to do, but she scooped guts out of her little pumpkin for a good half hour. No squeemishness there.


June and Ivory worked hard on their designs. Pumpkin carving can be tricky since things must be attached somewhere. June ended up amending her design because she couldn't get it to work.


Ivory liked scraping off the outer layer versus actual carving.


Daisy...I don't know what she was doing over there, but she was perfectly content. She put on face pieces and scraped off pumpkin chunks. She was one happy camper.


I was working on my own creation while Tyler took pictures.


Tyler's arm was sore tonight, so towards the end we hollowed out one for him and I quickly carved it with an idea I saw on Pinterest. Love him. And look at the carnage around him. This guy means business.


Now for the glowing finished products.



Poor Pearl's pumpkin was hidden behind another, so I made Tyler go take some more pictures. Here he is.


My money is on p@mpkin.


It was such a fun evening with the kids. They are getting old enough they can do a lot of the work on their own. Go check out the detail on Robyn's Mrs. Wazowski. She has earrings and everything.

Happy Halloween All!!

1 comment:

meganmushrat said...

I haven't carved a pumpkin in YEARS but I know I was never as talented as your whole group is. I think I'll stick to decorating Easter Eggs!