Saturday, January 4, 2014

Book Review 2013

I feel that I didn't read as much this year, but when I totaled up my books read,  I hit 23. I don't think I can count all of them really. I didn't do summer reading, but I did read plenty of kids books and put them on the list. At one point I was reading to Robyn to get her interested, and I think it worked in a way. So, you can see them all here, in no particular order.
























And now I'll tell you my top picks. I enjoyed many of them, but I require myself to narrow it down. Here they are.

TOP 5 PICKS

5. The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba: This was a very inspirational book. It is a true story about a boy who builds a windmill in his village in Africa. This is made more amazing by the fact that he figured out how to build it on his own by reading books from the library and finding pieces one at a time. The first half of the book was hard to read as it talked about the deprivation in Africa, but getting to the end was well worth it.

4. The 5 Love Languages by Gary Chapman: This book is just interesting because you learn a lot about yourself and hopefully those who you love. We all enjoy different things, and it is foolish to think that your spouse or children will want to be loved just like you do. And over time, I think my love language has changed. Good to reevaluate. This studio C skit made me laugh since it talks about the 5 love languages.

3. Emerald Atlas by John Stephens: This book was the one that sparked Robyn's interest in reading and helped her read two rather large books on her own. (The third one is not out yet.) It is a fantasy story of three children and the hardships they face as they try to recover three magical books. It is a little scary in parts, but a fun story. (I haven't read the second one, The Fire Chronicle, but Robyn recommends it.)

2. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty: Loved this book simply because it made me realize how great my life is and how I should treasure what I have. Alice falls while exercising and forgets the last ten years of her life. While her last memories are of her honeymoon and expecting her first child, things have drastically changed in ten years and not in a positive direction. This books makes you contemplate that perhaps you don't have all the answers right now. ALERT: Lots of swearing. I was disappointed in the vocabulary used, but I edited my copy and if you would like to borrow a 'clean' version, feel free.

1. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer: I'm sure someone has recommended this book to you at some point. Listen to them, and go read it. It was fantastic. Riddled throughout with realistic pictures of the occupation of the Channel Islands during WWII, it is still a lighthearted book that makes you laugh and cry all in one. Simply splendid.

Things to note:
* Insurgent didn't make the list because I read it too long ago and haven't read Allegiant yet (which I heard was not as good). Sadly, I have already forgotten much of the story. Stupid swiss cheese brain.

* You may have noticed several of the Lemony Snicket books. June told me to try them, and I could only get through four before I had to stop out of sheer annoyance.

* I would love for you to tell me your favorite book of 2013. Unlike last year when I filed the titles away and never read them, I will really try to search them out this year if you bother to comment.

Oops. Totally missed one. I read this right around Christmas. Fast little thriller. Haven't read many of her books before. It was fun.

2 comments:

meganmushrat said...

It has never occurred to me to keep track of what books I've read - probably because I reread a lot of my favorites throughout the year. Do audiobooks count? I am currently on disk 4 of the "Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" and am enjoying it very much. I wonder how factual it is. You did better than me. I only got through one Lemony Snicket book and decided I didn't want to waste time reading any more of them. Too many other good books to enjoy. I'm so glad you're a reader too.

¡Vieve! said...

I loved Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie society! And sadly, the Divergent books get a little worse the more they go. There's many on your list I enjoyed, and one I'm about to start, so hopefully, I'll enjoy it!