Monday, January 6, 2014

Cazier 2014 Resolutions

Now comes the time when we fess up to all the things we didn't accomplish, but try to make ourselves look better by expressing all the things we plan to do this coming year to make up for our inadequacies. Happy New Year!

I'll start. I didn't do too badly on my intentions. Let's evaluate:

1. Run 3 races. PASS (Although during this year I have decided that I enjoy boot camp a bazillion times more than running, I still made my three races. I ran the Hale Freezes Over, the Vineyard 5k, the Temple to Temple race, AND the Extreme Rhythm 5k. I don't think I ever even blogged about the last one. Becca and I ran it in September. I hadn't been running for months by then, so I was ecstatic with a 31:57 time. And I had a soft goal of running a 5k in under 30 minutes and I achieved that with two of the other races. Score.)

2. Read the Book of Mormon. PASS (Signed, sealed, delivered, I'm yours.)

3. Kid date once a month. FAIL/PASS (I did well for the first part of the year. Then the move happened and everything went haywire. Once we settled in the new place, I picked up where I left off and have been hitting every month since.)

4. Attend the Temple 12 times. PASS (Knocked that one out of the park. In the Fall I was going once a week for several months. Success.)

5. Track my spending. FAIL (I did really well, right up until June 1st. Then the move was eminent and my organization fell to pieces never to be recovered. You win some, you lose some.)

6. Stop biting my nails. FAIL/PASS (Remember how I didn't even care about this one? Well, I left my nails alone until May sometime. Then the move was stressing me out a bit. ((Yes, I know....broken record about the move.)) I started biting them again because I actually enjoy biting them. It may sound gross but I don't like nail clippers or files. It is just easier to trim them my own way. However, I do bite them less and that is good for me.)

Now for 2014. What great endeavors have I planned for myself now? I'm keeping it simple this year as well. But I'll go last this time. Let's start with the family. We had a fun FHE where we talked to the kids about making realistic measurable goals. They did some tentative resolutions last year, and some were accomplished.We'll keep working at it. Practice makes perfect.

Let's start with the kiddos. They all organized their thoughts a bit differently, but I will try to write them down just like they wrote them, spelling included.

ROBYN
1. Brush my teeth (in the morn) 300 days of the year.
2. Brush my hair 3 days a week excludind Sunday
3. Read my scripcers on Saterdays
(Lots of brushing going on this year.)


IVORY
Spiritual Goals: Read Book of Mormon
Personal Goals: Room clean once a week
Edicational Goals: 20 books, pass off Raz-kids, finish Fairy story, 15 new words
(I'm not sure about the 15 new words? Hopefully she won't learn them from friends at school.)


DAISY
Spiritual: Memorize 6 articles of faith (One every 2 months)
Educational Goal: Level 'D' of Raz-kids (Read seven books a week)
Personal Goal: Skate by yourself (Go skating 15 times this year), Wash dishes by yourself (Practice 2 times a month.)
(I definitely support her dish washing goal.)


JUNE
Goal #1: I want to keep up in my journal. I've been writing since October 2013, and I want to continue writing all this year. I'm setting a goal to write at least four times a week. After writing in my journal thirty times, I will reward myself with time with Mom and Dad, maybe going out for treats or for lunch with them.
Goal #2: I also would like to have daily prayer. I've been doing this for a year or two and I want to continue with it. I'm going to reward myself only once, at the end of the year, with a treat. It's a regular thing for me, so I don't want to reward myself too much, but I still want to reward myself, just a little.
Goal #3: I have never completed this goal before, so it's going to be hard for me, but I want to stop biting my nails. I want to paint my nails five times, having my nails long enough. Each time I paint my nails I want it to be when the first painting is worn off. I will reward myself every time I paint my nails with a treat.
(You can see that June is more explicit about her goals and the rewards that come with them.)


PEARL
(We chose this one for Pearl. Hopefully she gets the 'K' sound this year, although I really like when she says Chum- ere. {Come here})


And the adults?

TYLER
-Gospel study at least 3 times per week. (reward after 30 times)
-Fully trained in scouts. (reward: New scout shirt?)
(Should I add on here: Take wifey out on a date every week??)


MALEEN
(Yes, I have resolutions too. In categories, mind you. It just sort of happened that way, this year.)
Personal: Make bread once a month (or more)
Relationships: Send birthday cards to family
Spiritual: Read Book of Mormon and one commentary
Financial: Plan personal budget, stick to it each month
Home: Grow Herbs (Oregano? Basil?)


It should be a great year. I took the pictures because I felt bad for the girls who had no way to remember what they had written down last year. Some of them were rather surprised when I read their goals from last year. So, this time, I will give them each a picture to keep in their room. Maybe they will see it every once in a while and try to do a little better. Isn't that how it works for all of us? Every year we try to be a little better. I admit this is getting hard for me since I am pretty stellar to begin with, but we all have room for improvement. Apparently, I need to grow herbs.

Peace out 2013.

3 comments:

meganmushrat said...

I think I did better than the rest of the family on my goals this year. I did read one chapter of scriptures each day of the week (or two chapters if I missed a day). I did brush my teeth almost every day (the dentist noticed!). I don't know if I actually did an hour of genealogy every week, but there was a period of time when I was putting in several hours a week - I hope it averages out. I am working on some new resolutions for this year, but haven't quite firmed them up yet.

¡Vieve! said...

Good luck on the resolutions, everyone! I hope you guys all keep them all.

Sharona said...

It is hard to improve on perfection, eh? lol...Love that you have categories.