Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Reflections Entries

Just so you know...I am NOT blogging every day this month. I often try that in November, but I am not going to torture myself this time around. That said, I am still trying to catch up, hence the continued posting.

Reflections is a program that has been going on before I was in school. I remember entering something once or twice. I want my girls to be involved if they would like, but only if they have an idea they want to run with. I don't want to be holding their hand, or staying up late finishing their project. (That is only for book reports and State projects. I'm kidding.) Reflections is meant to be their own work, so it would kind of defeat the purpose if I did much.

There is a different theme every year. In 2011, the theme was "Diversity means..."

I had already told June that if she wanted to use my camera she could. She came up with her own idea of who to photograph and why.

In the meantime, Robyn came home one afternoon and I had bought a pack of eraser tops since all the erasers on our pencils are either worn down or eaten off by little ones. I had left the extras on the counter and Robyn set to making some art with them. She was so proud of her creation that she wanted to enter it in Reflections. I am not quite sure how it fit the theme, but here is her Eraser art, entitled Something New to Taste.



If you can't tell...it is fruit. It could be diverse because there are different kinds of fruit, or perhaps this is a different way to think of erasers...it is all in her mind. But I really like.

June on the other hand struggled to get hers finished mainly because her sorry mother kept forgetting to set up the photo shoot. But just days before it was due, we got everyone nailed down and June did her thing. She did a great job posing the kids and taking pictures. I helped her put them in a collage and I think it turned out great. She titled hers Anyone Can Be a Friend.


Looking at her pictures, I suddenly think that I may have no talent at all and we just have a really nice camera. Or, we'll just chalk it up to June having raw talent at an early age. Probably it is a combination of the two. But it was fun that they both participated.

I found out later that you can enter more than one category, although only one entry PER category. I think this household will stick to one entry period. This mother can only handle so much artistic exploration.

1 comment:

meganmushrat said...

It's nice to see that the artistic genes are still running strong. Not that I can take entire credit for this, but it is such fun watching kids develop their own flair for these things.