Sunday, November 20, 2011

"Fall"ing Behind

My lame attempt at a pun.

I am enjoying the Autumn, and I appreciate that the first snow came and went so quickly. Obviously, we are in for more, but the fact that it is almost December allows my brain to accept snow. In fact, this is the first year where I have been gunning to get my Christmas decorations out early. I have used all my restraint and the fact that Tyler won't let me, to keep from skipping the joyous holiday of Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong...I love Thanksgiving. That is why I created the rule of not getting out Christmas stuff before you have been thankful for all you have. I am just anxious this year.

But we will make our traditional thankful turkey tomorrow and that will get me in the spirit.

Meanwhile, I should really catch up on some of the things that have been going on around here.

Robyn won Reflections. She was so dang proud and they gave her a medal and everything.


I was proud of her too. She really is a little artist at heart, and I am glad that her creativity was acknowledged.

June pulled a fast one on us. Probably the first of many. On Tuesday night before bed, she said, "I have good news and bad news. The bad news is that I have a diorama and a report due on Thursday. The good news is that I have already done the report."

Oh, so just the diorama then? No problem. (Sense the sarcasm.)

Wednesday, I went to my favorite new home, Hobby Lobby and picked up some materials for June to work with. And Wednesday afternoon, we put it all together. I think she did a good job. Her habitat was ocean.


There was even a habitat fair at her school where you could see all the projects together. Tyler and I agreed that there were hundreds of parent/child hours displayed. I hope Robyn has to do this project sometime, because I want her to do the desert and then get a real scorpion and put it in a box with a lid and see how many people we can freak out. (I am possibly not always a nice person.)

I have been noticing lately how not-a-baby Pearl is.


She won't be 2 for a few more months, but she is full of Sass and just as cute as can be...most of the time. I really wish she liked riding in the car more. It gets a bit old that she screeches at me every time I strap her in. You would think that she would have resigned herself by now to trips in the car, but I sense some stubbornness in her. It will make trips over the holidays just that much more enjoyable.

Our Relief Society Meeting at the beginning of next month is having a walk-through nativity night. We are going to set up many nativities and then invite families to come through and enjoy the true meaning of Christmas first thing in the season. I have several nativities of my own that I will loan that night, but I was out shopping and I couldn't help but pick up another. I am always on the lookout for a unique nativity. Although the Savior was born in humble circumstances, I love the ornate feel of this set. Oh and the lamp moves. I am not sure why that makes me love it more.


Besides that, life is busy but good. I am happy to have a good family to share the trials and blessings with. Certainly each day is not perfect, but at this time of Thanksgiving, I am keenly aware of my pile of blessings. Like the laundry, it just keeps building up. I wonder if there is some analogy here that could make me love laundry more?

4 comments:

meganmushrat said...

I covet that nativity! It's gorgeous. I wish I could be there for your nativity walk-through. I wish YOU could be here for our nativity celebration. I'll try to take lots of pictures. Give our congratulations to Robyn. Love the diorama.

Bugers n' Gelato said...

I just got my first nativity set from your lovely parents (as a wedding gift) and am so excited to use it this year! :)

Alissa said...

when it comes to nativities, the only thing that matters to me is that mary is holding the savior. as she would have.

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

Good job to Robyn for winning reflections! June's diorama looks great! And, what a great idea to display the nativities. I'll have to tuck that idea away in my brain.