Monday, November 28, 2011

Thanksgiving Recap

Wow, my poor neglected blog is still here. I feel like I have lost all skill at blogging. I don't take pictures, I don't say funny things, I don't have any focus. I download whatever is on my camera and try to create a story that sums up my life in so many words. Even I am a little bored listening to me.

Depressing.

I sense a blogging goal for 2012, but that means I have another whole month of slacking. Phew.

Oddly, I am still keeping most of the family traditions in line. I just don't have time to tell you about them. Our Thankful Turkey was made.


He joined the ranks of turkeys on the wall. We are up to six now. The kids had such fun reading through all of them. They told me that I must really like my bed because I mentioned it on three of the turkeys. (I DO like my bed! But I managed to leave it off the turkey this year, in exchange for my new love...avocado.)This year's turkey was inspired by Robyn. I need to write this down, because I always forget who helped the year before.


This isn't related to Thanksgiving, but we got a chin-up bar. The kids think it is great fun, and Tyler finds lots of excuses to take his shirt off and flash his muscles. All the ladies are very impressed. The one I was surprised about was Pearl. She can't be left out and takes her turn like a pro.


We traveled up to Idaho for Thanksgiving. It was a sweet trip both ways. I would like to say a special thank you to the weather gods for holding off on the snow. It was so nice to travel on dry highway. And not have to wear winter attire at all times.

We left earlier this year and were finally around for breakfast on Thanksgiving day. Vicki decided a few years ago that there isn't a lot of spare room for pie once you are done feasting, so she instituted 'Pie for Breakfast.' I am still trying to decide if I like the idea.


I am all for dessert and seconds after that, but it was so sweet. That didn't stop me from eating three five slices. Vicki even made her own little mini pies with filling. Notice the machine at the bottom here.


Of course, Barry had been putting his candy wrappers in it the whole day before. (I know where Tyler gets it now.) Even with Tyler walking around with the camera, we still got an authentic scream out of her.


I think she was worried that we were baking the wrappers. I have to admit though—Vicki is a great screamer.

Everything was very relaxed and laid back. It was great to spend time with family. I was horrible about taking pictures. Sometimes I feel it is just the luck of the draw who gets into a photo. I guess you have to be in the right place at the right time to be included...or in focus.


Pearl went to bed early on Thanksgiving, but here she is giving her famous kissy lips.


That child is hilarious. She is either the cutest thing on two legs, or you just want to chuck her in the trash, or perhaps somewhere more soundproof.

There was a new face at Grandma's house. Can you pick out the new addition?


Okay, I don't know if I have ever blogged about Gizmo. Let me go check... Nope, the word gizmo has only come up once on my blog and it wasn't in relation to the dog. So, maybe I need to introduce you to two dogs. The black one is Gizmo. He has been in the family for a long time. He is a good dog, but will nip if little hands get too rough. I don't blame him.

That middle dog is Moxy of course. She always comes along for the ride to Idaho and I think she secretly likes it better there because she is allowed on the furniture and sleeps on our bed (on Tyler's side), and she's taller than her Idahoan canine cousins.

The new dog is this one:


He is a Havanese. They are supposed to be very smart, non-allergenic, non-shedding dogs. I could get on board that train, but the ticket is often around $1200. This is probably why I have never found one at the humane society. And Vicki's was on sale, luckily. He is a sweet thing, but currently without a name. We'll have to see if something sticks to him by the time we go back for Christmas.

I hope you all had a grand time with family and food. Thanksgiving is such a great holiday. There is nothing quite like rubbing shoulders with the people who have to love you. Watching these two makes me wish I had a brother.

5 comments:

Emma Jo said...

I'm sorry, I totally got distracted when you mentioned turkey and avocado in the same sentence.
Holidays are lovely, especially ones that include pie for breakfast. This pregnancy has done away with my sweet tooth which is why I still have three pie halves left in the fridge...who lets pies sit there that long?!

¡Vieve! said...

How funsies! I like the idea of pie for breakfast, I didn't get nearly enough pie this year. Your family trips always sound like so much fun.

Katie said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I love your turkey idea and every year keep telling myself I'm going to steal it... perhaps next year. :)

CarrieLu and Madi too said...

Hmm, I like the Thankful Turkey, hopefully I can remember it for next year. The pies look so pretty! That's funny about the candy bar wrappers, sounds like something I would do! Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

Suzie Petunia said...

Now, what on earth is wrong with pie for breakfast? It is practically a staple for me.

So great to be with family. I miss it!