Friday, October 12, 2012

Orange Fete Day

Seriously so slow in getting to this. There are just so many pictures!! And it was such a great time that I wanted to put a LOT in to remember. The ironic thing is that I have forgotten a lot of the details that weren't captured on film. (figures.) So I will include a ton of photos because I can. And it helps me remember. And I have to start somewhere, or it will never get done.

If you have any Fete Day questions, like where it came from and how to celebrate, you can go here. Or here. And then you should really consider doing Fete Day with your family. Who doesn't need another family tradition.??

So, here is our sign we made for Fete Day. Our color was Orange.


Our activity was the Olympics because we had just finished watching them and it seemed like a great idea. And it was SOOO fun. We had several events.

1. Obstacle Course
2. Shot Put (with Water Balloons)
3. Discus (with a frisbee, but we ran out of time to do this one.)
4. Wheelbarrow relay
5. Baton relay race
6. Long Jump
7. Three legged Race

We started with the Obstacle course. Wait, let's rewind a minute and introduce our athletes:

Men: Tyler, Kevin, Ryan
Women: Maleen, Amber, McKenzie
Young Adults: Tim, Jordyn, June
Kids: Jaylee, Robyn, Ivory
Littles: Daisy, Addi, Adi, Pearl

I divided everyone up into classes so we could compete in similar age category's and everyone would medal in most events. I think it worked out pretty well. (Not exactly equal, but wouldn't that be impossible?)

We started with the Obstacle course, because it was an individual event that everyone could try out and get into the spirit. I will freely admit that I didn't take any pictures, because I was in charge of everything, including timing and measuring at points. So, Tyler was the hero of the day once again. But he started taking pictures after the men and Amber competed, so you just get all the rest of us. But trust me that the men (and Amber) were fantastic.

The course included the following:
Walking backward along a balance beam
Hoola-hooping 10 times
Crabwalking around several cones
One cartwheel
Jumping over dowels to the finish line

Here we go...

The balance beam was trickier than we thought. And if you fell off you had to go back and try again. But McKenzie rocked it.


I got nine good hoola-hoops in a row, then dropped it and had to pick it up for number ten. It took seconds off my time. :)


June was our youngest 'young adult'. She was awesome.


Jordyn was a great crab-walker.


Tim was such a trooper. Obstacle course was not his main event. He didn't even know how to cartwheel, but gave it his best.


Jaylee looked elegant the whole time.


Robyn can hoola-hoop like nobody's business.

 
Ivory was concentrating. See the tongue?


The littles were hilarious. Adi had some help from Mom.


Pearl had help from everyone.

 
Addi did it mostly by herself and she was fab.


Daisy (who went very last) was awesome. I kept her company for part of it.


So fun huh? That is probably enough pictures for now. Stay tuned for more Fete Day Olympic Events.

4 comments:

meganmushrat said...

My first thought was 'thank goodness I wasn't there and had to compete'. I mean - can you imagine me trying to do a cartwheel? Actually, you would have had to have another class for 'seniors' if Dad and I had been there, and probably some of the requirements would have changed for us. I can't imagine Dad doing a cartwheel either - but I'll be we could do the hoola hoop!

Tim Dargan said...

Wow, you captured me at just the right moment in that second picture... lol. I had lots of fun despite doing "not so well" on the obstacle course, and would do 20 cartwheels to spend another week in Utah with you guys! You're the best! PS: You know I still blog, right?

¡Vieve! said...

I love all the orange, everyone looks so good! I need to organize something like this, so inspiring.

Amber said...

SO FUN! These are great!