Monday, October 8, 2012

Where to Begin?

I am aware that the blogging has been a little behind. Chalk it up to being busy. But then I read this article on being busy, and listened to Pres.Uchtdorf (Sorry...no link to print copy yet) express some of the same thoughts in his talk during General Conference, and now I really want to NOT BE BUSY. Could someone help please? I feel I have already cut out a lot of things, and I don't know where to scale back anymore. Perhaps you would like to borrow a few children. No...that's not right. I kinda like them. In fact, in Tim's article, he says that we choose things that make us busy, not things we have to do. In which case, I chose to be a mom. I love it. But it sure does come with some busyness. And if that is what it entails, I guess I will be busy for a while. I'll cut back somewhere else.

Looking over my files of photos, I can see that I have not covered all that should be covered in the last month or so. So you get a hodge-podge. (My favorite.) In no particular order...

I think it is impossible to thoroughly enjoy licking a beater without getting messy.




I made some new chore charts (compliments of Pinterest, although I tweaked mine a bit) and I love them for their visual accuracy. Before, we had checklist, which I liked, but I was always going over it in my head, repeating activities that needed to be accomplished. Now, I simply look up on the fridge and can instantly see what any given child is still lacking that day.




(I don't feel the charts have made them better at completing their tasks, but I can more easily what needs to be done, and that is half the battle in my book.)

Oh, hello there.


Tyler came home and caught me taking a picture of myself. I was trying to remember how close-up that lens was, but he decided I was taking pictures of myself because I am so good looking. (Yay, that's got to be it.) So he mocked me and I found all these pictures of him later. You can tell his arms are longer though.


Speaking of long arms...we have done some rearranging around here, and I wish Tyler were here every time I decide to move a bookcase. He moves it a whole shelf at a time. Jealous.


Conference (referenced above) was this last weekend and it was fabulous, as always. The girls and I stitched our way through the first day.


June has finished her first project. Quite an accomplishment.


Then we had some friends over on Sunday. We were quite the group with 8 children bopping about. I think this picture is only missing Daisy. (And Tyler who took the picture.)


But it is great to share the experience together. (And eat a yummy breakfast before.) 

One of the most awesome announcements (given on Sat.) was that the age requirement for young missionaries went down to 18 for boys, and 19 for girls. They have to be finished with High School, but I am so excited for what this might mean for my girls. Since I don't want them married too young anyway, what a great choice to be able to serve a mission right out of school. I'm not sure what they will choose, but I feel this is a great opportunity for so many young people.

Somewhere this month, we had a school carnival. And the face paint was the good kind. And the artists were awesome. It took a lot of tickets, so only two kids got it, but don't they look lovely?



We still love to read around here. Just thought I would mention that as well.


Also, June had a report due at the end of the month. She was a little behind and even had to finish her puppet first thing in the morning before school. I came back from running to find Roald Dahl. He looks pretty good.


Oh, and that was also the day they celebrated her birthday at school, so she took in a treat. Check out the sucker tree.



I really like those Jolly Rancher suckers. (As do the kids.) I'm not sure if they fall under the category of 'store bought' which is required of all treats brought into the school. Ha ha. I have foiled them again. (Maniacal laughter.) My evil plot is all going according to plan.

Alright, no real plan...but come on...homemade treats are way better than all that preserved crud at the store. Just saying.

Wait...is that all? Did I get through all those extra pictures?? Awesome. Maybe I can be less busy for the rest of the afternoon.

2 comments:

meganmushrat said...

Those chore charts are awesome - I'm seriously considering making one for me. I think I could use it, although I would put different things on it. Things like SCRIPTURE STUDY, MAKING DINNER, PERSONAL PRAYER, etc. We watched conference on my computer, and I got quite a bit of cross-stitching done - although (to my chagrin) I spent almost as much time taking out stitches that were in the wrong place.

¡Vieve! said...

Holy busy-ness! Those are some great things, the chore chart, the jolly ranchers suckers, the face paintings. Even if you may be too busy, you take the time to be a great mom!