Saturday, April 5, 2014

Conference Incentives

Does anyone remember the wall I made?? As the next session of conference approached, I wanted to reward those who had made the effort to read the previous talks. Everyone had signed the wall at least once, but only June really took the challenge to heart and finished them all. I wanted to reward her in some way, but I also wanted to reward everyone for trying. I set up levels of rewards with prizes when you read 1, 4, 7, 10, 12, or 15 talks.  I knew June would get all the rewards, but I figured that would be okay. I mentioned to the kids that there was a week left and what they could still achieve.

And thus began the frenzy.

Kids were coming home every day and asking for my phone to read talks, or asking me to put a talk on the computer. (The younger kids can't read the talks, but they get credit for watching them.) It only goes to show what kids will do for candy. (I'm thinking I need to find another reward system that isn't so sugar intensive.)

I will say that the wall was looking nice and full by the end of this week.


June, Robyn, and Daisy each read (or watched) all fifteen talks from the wall. Super impressive. But everyone went home a winner.


After all, something must have soaked in along the way. Or at least that is what I am hoping. Tyler was a bit concerned the kids would be all 'conferenced' out by the time we had conference today, but they sat quietly and listened. (You know, besides Pearl who was kind of all over the place.) They are good kids.

And I believe the wall served its purpose. I think it is a keeper for now.

2 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

That's a pretty good idea to do, to get them to watch them all. Good work, everyone!

Chelle! said...

I love this. We did this one semester in college. Hmmm...I might just do it with myself this time around.