Friday, May 23, 2014

Freedom Isn't Free

The second grade Patriotic Program is always a highlight of the year. Ivory was super excited for the big day. She had a speaking part and memorized it very well. You would think after watching this program two other times, it would be boring. But no, I liked it just as much as the first time. (The songs are pretty catchy.)

Here are all the kids lined up before it started. Can you find Ivory? She is the only one looking at me.


I like this picture a lot. During the national anthem, I snapped a picture. You can see the kids with their hands on their hearts, and the scouts doing a salute. But it wasn't until later that I realized the woman on the right is the principal. Maybe I should send her a copy?


There is always a speaker who has served in one of the branches of the armed forces. I really enjoyed the guy who spoke this year. He had some inspirational stories, but my favorite was when he spoke about taking leave. They draw numbers to chose when to take leave. He was planning on getting married and wanted a specific time, but his number was 59; not very promising. His fellow officers knew of his desires to marry, so they started swapping numbers and by the end of the day, he was number 3. Pretty cool. But I imagine there are lots of heart warming stories like that. The army and all other branches are filled with honorable and patriotic people. Thank you for your service.

It used to be that at the end of the program you could take pictures, but now they send the kids back to their classrooms for parents to pick up. So, I just brought Ivory back to the gym so I could get a picture of her by the flag. She is growing up so fast.


And it is kind of tradition to take a picture with sisters. I think I will cry when Pearl is the last one up there, with no one to sit next to her. But for now I can enjoy their smiling faces together.


1 comment:

meganmushrat said...

Your little munchkins are growing up. Treasure the moments!