Sunday, September 28, 2014

Bucket Filling

I will admit that as a child, I did not look forward to General Conference. We had to dress up, go to the church, and sit there for hours at a time. And it was dark, so it didn't really help to bring something to do, because you couldn't really see it. I think I took a few naps back in those days.

Fast forward a decade or so, and General Conference weekend is one of my favorite, and I look forward to it with much anticipation. I love that they have the Women's Meeting the weekend before now, including all the women. What a great start to the spiritual outpouring. My bucket is already filling up quite nicely, and I expect to top it off next weekend.

I loved all the speakers this evening. Each had something that made me pause and think. I am always awed that these servants of the Lord can be inspired to know what we most need to hear.

Elder Uchtdorf gives great messages. I particularly liked this quote:

"Part of our challenge is, I think, that we imagine that God has all of his blessing locked in a huge cloud up in heaven, refusing to give them to us unless we comply with some strict paternalistic requirements he has set up. 

But the commandments aren't like that at all.

In reality, Heavenly Father is constantly raining blessings upon us. It is our fear, doubt, and sin, that like an umbrella, block these blessings from reaching us. His commandments are the loving instructions and the divine help for us to close the umbrella so that we can receive the shower of heavenly blessings."

This seemed very fitting since it rained all day. As we left the meeting and faced the deluge once again, I happily ran out into the downpour and said, "Kids, forget the umbrellas, let the blessings rain down upon you." Everyone seemed less hesitant. It is amazing what a little perspective can do. (Not that I recommend standing in the rain for hours, but I think the message got through to the kids. Ivory was even telling Tyler the umbrella story before she went to bed. Spiritually fed...check.)

Then we have a little tradition (started last time) to go out for dessert. We changed it up this time and went to The Chocolate. (Physically fed...check.) Delicious, and we brought an extra friend along. Caroline came with us, which made up for the loss of Esther, who went to a birthday party. I didn't remember to take a picture until after Caroline and Robyn left. (Classic.) But here you have the rest of our group.


And I took a picture of myself after I got home. You know, since I like to remember I partook in the evening as well.


1 comment:

meganmushrat said...

I am ashamed to admit that I slept right through it - in fact, I forgot to set my alarm for work and Dad woke me up a scant 15 minutes before I had to leave. I am so glad that they post the talks at the website so I can listen to them later.