Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Book Review 2018



Happy New Year! I think it is always nice to start off with a book review. Books are always on my mind. I share my life with several other people swimming in the back of my head. I like to use the stats off of Goodreads, so this year I tried to copy the stats onto the blog. It mostly worked.


Blank yyib header maxres
2018

This is my journey in books for 2018!

TOTALS
I read 11,248 pages across 36 booksImg bookstack 40

Survival Lessons by Alice Hoffman
Img ruler 
SHORTEST BOOK
96 pages
Survival Lessons
by 
LONGEST BOOK
541 pages
The Final Empire
by 
The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

AVERAGE LENGTH
312 pages


MOST POPULAR
1,477,647
people also read
Fahrenheit 451
by 
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
The Rebel Witch by Jack Lovejoy
Img temp desktop 2x
LEAST POPULAR
41
people also read
The Rebel Witch
by 

MY AVERAGE RATING FOR 2018
3.4

The Brightest Night by Tui T. Sutherland
HIGHEST RATED ON GOODREADS
The Brightest Night
by 

4.63 average
Img badge

Other statistics I would like to add: Most read month - January (6 books) Least Read Month - September and March (1 book)
This year I'm going to add my top 8 favorite (in no particular order). I liked putting my goodreads reviews on here. That seems to say most of what I would like to say. Here goes:
WHEN BREATH BECOME AIR by Paul KalanithiThis book was very touching. I think it provides a special window to see into the life of a cancer patient while still realizing that until you are that person, you will never understand being in that room. Paul looked for ways to live life to the fullest his whole life and he looked for connections between science and relationships. What a beautiful goal. I think he found out quite a bit before his goal was cut short. It reminds me to appreciate what I have now. This was a wonderful book to read during the Thanksgiving season, but it would be a wonderful book any time of year.

ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL by James Herriot4.5 This book was fantastic. My mother always told me she loved these books, but I was never very interested. I'm so satisfied reading this story. James Herriot has a way with words. All his anecdotes were touching and many were laugh out loud funny. I've never imagined the veterinary lifestyle, but I am more than impressed with the diligence and skill needed to take care of large stock animals. It seems that you would have to be made of a certain mettle to stick your hand into a cow over and over again. Sitting reading this book is like listening to Garrison Keillor tell his stories on the radio. You just need to exchange a few Lutherans for heifers. This book was grand.
MISTBORN by Brandon Sanderson4.5 Phew, what a ride. There are few people that can create a world like Brandon Sanderson. I'm currently working my way through Way of Kings, but I ended up reading this one for book group. Although I feel like the stories have similarities, I was quickly sucked into Vin and Kelsier's world and it was its own story. The use of metals as a type of scientific magic was very cool. And interesting that you either had one ability or all of them. The plot was laid out at the beginning, but I was impressed that it did not go according to plan. It had a feel of believability as things turned out wrong and mistakes were made and people picked up the pieces as best they could. Perhaps there was too much loyalty and honesty for a group of thugs and thieves. Trust and faith became interesting subplots along the way. I liked all the characters. I can't even choose a favorite. Every time I try, I think of another person that is just as deserving of my adoration. Who couldn't adore Sazed? The only problem I have now is finding time to read the next two books.
THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY by Trenton Lee StewartI read this book aloud to my kids. They all really enjoyed it. There is plenty of intrigue and planning throughout and we all gave our opinions about what would happen. Sometimes it was the younger kids who guessed correctly. The characters are fun and I did some great voices. The kids especially enjoyed Jackson and Jillson's voices. This is a great book for readers 10-14. It is fairly long. It is a Battle of the Book's book this year and I was surprised because of the length. That was the main reason I read it aloud, so Daisy wouldn't feel overwhelmed by the number of pages. However, it is a fast read and each chapter has you invested and wanting to know more. I saw there are more books in the series, but this is easily a stand alone book. It wraps up very well.
SHOE DOG by Phil Knight4.5 This book was incredible. I wish that I had been fantastic at sports so I could have know Phil Knight and his Buttfaces. None of them was perfect, but their sheer determination and belief in their cause and company is contagious. I suddenly want to buy only Nike shoes. There were words of wisdom and laugh out loud moments throughout the whole book. I liked the history that played like a soundtrack in the background. I kept googling names to find out more about what was going on. Sadly, I was born too late to cheer for Pre, but each piece of the story made me appreciate the sports culture and especially the desire to change the world, even if it means starting at the bottom...on someone's feet. 
PIVOT POINT by Kacie WestAlthough it felt very teen, this book was a fun fast read. The idea of mind powers only possessed by a small group is intriguing. Which mind power would you want? I really liked the part where Addie makes the comic with Trevor, revealing and disguising her powers at the same time. There are some good twists and turns in the book. Some of it I saw coming, and other parts took me by surprise. I'm not sure I agreed with the ending. But it leads into a sequel well, so I guess I'll have to read the second one. (p.s. The sequel was great too!)
THE GENTLE ART OF SWEDISH DEATH CLEANING by Margareta MagnussonThis book was insightful, and humorous. Decluttering your junk is an important step in life. (There are many, many books about it.) The author here has already had to take care of several houses after loved ones have passed. She offers tips about how to get rid of things so your kids or other people won't have to take care of them. She has a sweet grandmotherly style to her writing with funny stories and anecdotes scattered throughout the text. I plan to pass this book along to my parents. :)
FOOD: A LOVE STORY by Jim GaffiganThis book was hilarious. I think I have similar tastes with Jim Gaffigan. Although I don't eat at McDonald's anymore. I wouldn't want that to be my last meal. I laughed out loud so many times reading this book. And I learned a lot about food in the process. Who knew a humor book could be so educational. I finished reading and found myself craving doughnuts and a bagel from New York. At least I can get one of those soon.




















And finally a list of all the books I read last year. It was a great year of reading. Yes, I'm still part of three book groups. Our family one has been very fun as we added Daisy in this year. And for our final meeting of the year, we played Taboo using the characters and things from books we read through the year. (It is pretty hard to remember back to some books.) I can't imagine a life without reading. So far it seems all my kids like it as much as I do. I love being able to share that with them.
-->
Children of Blood and BoneTomi Adeyemi
The Scandalous Sisterhood of Prickwillow PlaceJulie Berry
The Dragon in the Sock DrawerKate Klimo
When Breath Becomes AirPaul Kalanithi
GenesisBrendan Reichs
The Wild Robot EscapesPeter Brown
The Rebel WitchJack Lovejoy
The Disappearing DowryLibi Astaire
NemesisBrendan Reichs
The Bean TreesBarbara Kingsolver
Fahrenheit 451Ray Bradbury
The Wild RobotPeter Brown
Survival LessonsAlice Hoffman
The Witch of Blackbird PondElizabeth George Speare
All Creatures Great and Small James Herriot
The Fire WithinChris d'Lacey
The Final Empire (Mistborn)Brandon Sanderson
The Mysterious Benedict SocietyTrenton Lee Stewart
Serafina and the Black CloakRobert Beatty
SummerlostAlly Condie
The Brightest NightTui Sutherland
The Keeper of Lost ThingsRuth Hogan
Howling MadDavid Peter
The Shadow ThroneJennifer Nielsen
Split Second Kacie West
Shoe Dog Phil Knight
Pivot PointKacie West
The Haunting of Sunshine GirlPaige McKenzie
The Lost HeiressRoseanna White
The Runaway KingJennifer Nielsen
A Wizard of EarthseaUrsula K. Le Guin
PersuasionJane Austen
The Gentle Art of Swedish Death CleaningMargareta Magnusson
HomelandR.A. Salvatore
Rose DaughterRobin McKinley
Food: A Love StoryJim Gaffigan

No comments: