Friday, January 18, 2008

Angels in Disguise

I was telling Deanne just this morning that I wanted to go to Tucanos tonight to celebrate for our birthdays (Tyler's and mine, Deanne's is not until May) but I was tired of calling babysitters. It is not that I don't think people are willing to help out (I have many kind friends who often watch my kids) but I just don't like the whole process. I don't think I would have done well being a guy and having to call for dates. I just don't think I could handle all the rejection. Just kidding, those two things aren't exactly the same, but it is frustrating when you really need a sitter and no one is available. I don't have family that I can call on that is nearby, so I rely on neighbors and friends.
This is really just a long way to tell a story about this morning. I was trying to multi-task (I was making oatmeal for myself, baking a cake for Tyler, cooking him eggs for breakfast, and answering random requests from three children eating) and my mind was everywhere. The phone rang and Tyler handed it to me telling me it was Elise (she is from Brazil and her name is pronounced Eh-lee-zee). She is my neighbor two houses down and she is so super sweet and beautiful. She calls randomly and asks if she can watch my kids (who does that??). She said that she felt I was probably needing a break and to give her a call because she was going to be free all weekend. Oh my gosh! Who sent this angel? I had already given up on Tucanos (see beginning) but thanks to Elise, we are back in business. I really wish I could be her sometimes. I want to be that person who brings such joy to someone else; who does meaningful service. I guess today I will settle for being the one who accepts it, but I will remember these moments and try to be better in the future.

5 comments:

Chelle! said...

That is so sweet!! I am so glad we get to reap the rewards of the cake making!! YIPPEE!!! I do need to clarify--I think you are often an angel in disguise. I can think back and recall the times that you have dropped by my desk or even called me when I just needed a smile!!! Thanks Maleen for WHO YOU ARE!!!

¡Vieve! said...

I'm glad you found an angel that could help you have a great night-which you so much deserve!

Wright Family said...

I'm happy that you have such a great neighbor and friend. I know I how it goes about finding a babysitter and you feel like you can't ask so-in-so because you have already used them too many times. Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Tucanos was good. I'm stuffed to the hilt and I can't possibly eat another thing. It's times like that when I look back and think to myself, "Dang I'm lucky!"

Good friends, good food, good wife, good food, good food . . .

Obrigado Elise-foi otimo. Agradecemos-lhe pela sua ajuda—foi inspirada.

Anonymous said...

MMMM...Tucanos. I sure miss that place. Isn't it great for our husbands that we love the food from their missions - we frequented Tucanos when we lived there and need to visit and go there again! Happy Birthday to you two!!