Saturday, January 19, 2008

One Hot Tamale

It is sad to see old friends go and I feel sorrow at the passing of our old Nissan. Really it is the memories that seem hard to let go of. It was my Grandmother's car, she must have bought it when I was seven. I remember taking rides in it in California. When she passed away, my mom inherited it and gave it to us when we needed a second car. It was old, but it served us well. Tyler was brave to go without adequate heat in the winter, no AC in the summer (unless you count rolling down the windows). There were no inside lights on the dash, no clock or radio (until we installed a small one last summer). The headlights were constantly burning out due to humidity trapped inside the light covers. The muffler has been tied on since it fell off last summer. In short, the car had a few problems.
I don't doubt there were a few more good miles in the Nissan, but I will also admit that there wasn't just one night when Tyler was late that I wondered if perhaps the car had broken down on the side of the road. And so when the offer came that was too good to pass up, the Nissan was sold. I didn't even get to take a picture in parting. But the new vehicle is rather nice. I think Tyler will be spoiled for a while. It is a '05 Dodge Neon and I can't imagine he would have many complaints after the last car. We like to call it the Tamale and I think it is a nice ride.
And so Michelle, real proof that the new car does exist. Sorry it took me a while to post. I didn't get a picture until this morning.

8 comments:

Erica said...

That is a nice ride! I don't know if you'll get this before I see you tomorrow, but no worries about not getting the list to me. The registry process has just begun and I'm sure I will be adding and taking things away all the time. So I would still love your list and I know it will come in very handy! Thanks for being willing to help and we'll see you tomorrow!

John DePalatis said...

When did the Subaru rust into oblivion? Inquiring minds...

Ker said...

Sweet ride! I cant believe you didnt tell me about it, and I had to hear about it from our BFF Michelle!

Anonymous said...

What Maleen didn't know is that the Nissan could no longer turn right (unless I was going over 15 mph—and even then I was taking my life in my own hands), the CV joint was replaced last summer and it's busted again, the belts were actually fraying, there was no interior light, the static from the radio made music sound like sandpaper rasping on concrete so I took up talk radio, the wipers hadn't been replaced since the 90s, and back wiper was torn off in a vicious snow storm last year (not that the wind did it or something—I actually tore it off inadvertently when I was chiseling the window), the engine block was cracked and leaked oil, the upholstery was the unwilling recipient of about a quart of pee when Robyn ran a few errands last year (it still stunk a little even after I hosed out the car with the Mexicans across the street sitting there eating popcorn watching the "show"), the brake-light pedal receiver was messed so the brake lights stayed on even if my pedal wasn't depressed unless I put a piece of cardboard between the pedal and the receiver, the sliding doors (way ahead of their time) wouldn't open from October until March (some say it was because of winter, but I choose to think the vehicle harbored an unspoken vendetta against me), the fuses kept blowing out, and the list goes on.

Nevertheless, I was happy to drive it to work every day. Thank you Gra'ma for letting us use it.

On the flip side, I consider my new car to have lots of perks! For example, there's a light that comes on every time I open the door! It dings when I leave my lights on and try to exit the vehicle (the Nissan used to do that until I wired in the new radio...). The radio has absolutely no static! The seats don't smell of pee (not yet anyhow). The wipers work. I can't hear the engine when I'm driving and there are no metal-on-metal grating noises around corners. This ride's got power windows and power locks. The doors open when I pull the levers!

In the end, the Nissan taught me great lessons in gratitude. You may do well to "Count Your Many Blessings" that you may not realize you have with your car—be it Ferrari or jalopy.

Farewell dear Nissan. You have served me well, and even though I hope I never see you again, I'm glad to have made your acquaintance.

Anonymous said...

What!!!! You sold my mother's car? It gave you the best years of it's life, and when it got too old to do a good job, you abandoned it! I'm going to miss that old car when I come to visit in February. I have fond memories of it too. Guess it's just another sign that I'm getting older . . .

Chelle! said...

Ok-Maleen--I did believe that there was a new car in the family. Who wouldn't?? When you could hear Tyler running and screaming through the halls at work that he FINALLY got a new car!!! Then, how did I not notice it when he MADE us go look at his fine transportation. PLUS, every--let me restate that EVERY time you walk through the doors at work, Tyler has to ask if you noticed his new CAR!!! But, your are correct--I really did not believe it until it was posted on your blog. HA HA HEE HEE!!! Oh, by the way, I do not think your lazy!!! The cake was absolutely to die for!!!

Wright Family said...

I like it though I must admit it will take getting use to. Whenever I pull out of my garage first thing I look for is the Nissan parked down the road. It's weird not to see it, now I just need to look to the tamale. Tyler enjoy your new car.

Anonymous said...

Very nice car!!! You and Tyler crack me up - I will have Mark read these posts so he can laugh too. Oh, and so he can read *and* understand the Portuguese on the Tucanos post!