Thursday, January 31, 2008

Sharing is Sweet

Katie brought the yummiest cookies over to my house recently. I saved one for June, because Katie asked specifically if I could since she felt bad that June did not enjoy a treat that she brought earlier to primary (Katie is June's teacher now). I'm sure June would have devoured it the next day, but she was distracted by the plethora of other treats in the house (Candy Corn, cupcakes, Skittles, etc.) So the cookie sat in its little zip-lock bag waiting to be savored. Now I have not been craving sweets with this pregnancy, but that cookie was looking mighty good, so I thought I would try something...
June was already in bed and I went up and knelt next to her and asked, "May I have your cookie?" She looked at me for a moment and then said, "Are you kidding?"
"No, I really liked them and it sounds tasty to me, so I wanted to know if I could have it?" This was pretty much torture for June. You could see the frustration and confusion on her face. It is not natural for children to give away treats (especially if there is only one!), but she loves her mom. She sat there saying, "Hmmmmmmm." "Hmmmmmmmmm." I could almost see the wheels turning in her head. She hmmmmmed a bit more and when I gave her a quizzical look she finally said, "I'm still focused on we each have half."
Ahhh, isn't that sweet? I tied with the cookie. I told her that sounded great and we could share the cookie tomorrow.
The greatest part of this story is that I told Tyler this same tale later in the evening when he came home. He got the funniest look on his face and he said, "Do you mean the cookie in the little zip-lock bag?" It didn't take a genius to realize he had eaten it. "You have to MARK things like that!" he wailed. I told him not to worry and that if June noticed, we could always specially ask Katie for another batch. June must have felt good in her conscience because she hasn't asked about the cookie yet. However, Katie, if you ever feel like making some more of those, we would be happy to consume them. Yum!

6 comments:

¡Vieve! said...

Ha ha leave it to Tyler to eat the cookie the two of you were so excited to eat!

Chelle! said...

Katie--I don't know you, but I would love some of those delicious cookies, too. I love it when June comes over to my desk and gets a tootsie roll for her two sisters. She is so sweet that way!!

Chelle! said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wright Family said...

If you go to Katie's blog she has posted the recipe for those yummy cookies. And you've been tagged by me.

Hot Chocolate said...

Ha! That was a cute story. However, I'm concerned with the fact that you still have candy corn in your house. How long ago was Halloween?

Maleen said...

Okay, I wondered if anyone would notice the candy corn, but they are a Valentine variety. They are pink and white and are called 'Cupid Corn' but no one would know what that was so I just called them candy corn. So fear not, although I think we do still have some Halloween Candy on top of the fridge (time to clean up there again).