Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Sleeping On Cloud Nine

I don't know about you, but we are a one set of sheets family. Now, when it comes to the children, it is a different story. When you have one of those wonderful nights where kids throw-up or wet the bed, it is essential to have multiple sets of sheets for their beds. But for us grown-ups, well, we have one set. We take them off, wash them in one day and they go back on. Two years ago it got really bad and we actually had big holes in our sheets and I would laugh because Tyler would get into bed, but he would get into the hole by accident sometimes.
Part of the problem is that I like Jersey sheets and they wear out faster than other sheets. They are incredibly soft and comfortable but Tyler says the thread count is so low they don't even list them as quality sheets online. Who cares, I like them. But last time I bought sheets, I did buy regular sheets hoping they would last a bit longer.
The other morning, Ivory managed to soil our sheets, so I knew that I needed to do laundry that day. The evening came and I still hadn't gotten the sheets washed. This posed a problem. Either I stayed up late and washed the sheets or I put them back on the bed (unwashed, eew) and washed them the next day. Both options didn't sound very pleasing. So we dug in the linen closet and found some really old sheets. I'm not sure why we still had these sheets, and they were showing some real wear and tear. There were ink stains, holes and the elastic had lost its spring. But they would work for one night. They were some of our old Jersey sheets and I crawled in and was in heaven again. I thought, "Why did I buy other sheets when I like this kind so much?" I mentioned to Tyler that next time we bought sheets that we should get this kind again.
So I was quite surprised when the next day on my birthday I was gifted with TWO sets of Jersey sheets. I think he bought them even before the sheet conversation, and he was probably happy to hear that I wanted Jersey ones.



So last night I used the new sheets and I loved them. He bought the yellow and the brown color you can see in the background. Sure they won't last as long, but I have two sets this time. Sweet dreams.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I'm so glad that you got new sheets and that you love them. It's surprising how something like that really can change the way you sleep. I have a specific pillow that without it sleep just isn't the same. (and thanks for writing about your sheets. it reminded me that I've been telling my self since Monday that I need to wash my sheets -- they are in the washing machine now :)

Chelle! said...

Oh, you are too cute!!! I am glad that Tyler was intune to get you something that you really wanted for your birthday. What a great guy!!!

Deanne said...

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy! There is nothing quite like new bed linens to have a great night's sleep. I'm so hapy for you!

jennie said...

I have to say, I don't even know what Jersey Sheets are. But I'm happy you like them. I, for one, love a set of flannel sheets in the winter. So COZY! I've gotten in the oh-so-refreshing habit of changing the sheets at least once a week. There is nothing like climbing into a fresh bed. My patients at the hospital get a fresh set daily, and I know it makes a difference, wouldn't it be nice if we all had a fresh set of sheets daily???

Anonymous said...

I also have to admit I don't know what Jersey sheets are. My preference is definitely flannel!!! Good thing Mark doesn't have a preference because I'd have a hard time not having flannel! Enjoy those new sheets! I need to invest in a 2nd set also.